joist in way of can light

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
19.25 looks really good from here. Less likely to be working in their own shadow. It will make it darker under the upper cabinets but that is what additional task lighting is for. That was not an add for Task Lighting that just happens to be local and does happen to sell some excellent though pricey products.

Split Bolt

I agree, closer is better. You are trying to illuminate the "task area," which is the countertop, not the room. As everyone else will say as well, undercabinet lighting, in addition to the recessed lights, will be the best!

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Joist can lights

Joist can lights

Closer is better also i would try to sell the customer 4" can's so it won't look to close.

jetlag

thanks split bolt

thanks split bolt

I agree, closer is better. You are trying to illuminate the "task area," which is the countertop, not the room. As everyone else will say as well, undercabinet lighting, in addition to the recessed lights, will be the best!

How do you run the power to undercab lights can you hide nm behind where the face drops below the cabinet bottom

iwire

Staff member
If I had prints that showed the light in the center of a counter the carpenters would be sistering two joists and heading off the one in the way.

This happens often in commercial work.

Split Bolt

If I had prints that showed the light in the center of a counter the carpenters would be sistering two joists and heading off the one in the way.

I once roughed-in a job with Lightolier recessed lights. (non IC with no "can") When I came back to trim-out, I looked up to see a 3/4" copper plumbing pipe running straight down one of my rows of lights!:mad: DOH!!

hurk27

How do you run the power to under cab lights can you hide nm behind where the face drops below the cabinet bottom

Depends upon the type of under cabinet fixture you use, low voltage and cord a plug connected I put receptacles (cut in old work box's) right above each top cabinet where they are needed mounting a single gain horizontal so it can't be seen from below, then I snake my fixture wires between the cabinets where possible, or run up through the cabinets behind the fronts where the wire can't be seen, using a cable stapler to secure the cable.

Hard wire I just stub one piece of 14/2 out in the middle of the bottom lip of the upper cabinet where the fixture will be located, if the fixtures have a K/O then I will move it over to line up with the K/O, using a junction box or single runs from the switch is much better then trying to hid two or more 14/2's in each fixture, and most will have very small K/O's with an adapter to connect to 1/2"

some will try to use florescent under cabinet lights but personally, with incandescent as the main lighting, but I think it clashes.

In residential this doesn't happen, very rarely do you have exact placement of cans on prints, if you even have prints.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In residential this doesn't happen, very rarely do you have exact placement of cans on prints, if you even have prints.

I beg to differ. :) I do custom homes and I get them to move joists if need be. We will try and work with whats there but that doesn't always work.

I am doing a home now and the builders had to move about 8 joists so we could keep symmetry.

hurk27

I beg to differ. :) I do custom homes and I get them to move joists if need be. We will try and work with whats there but that doesn't always work.

I am doing a home now and the builders had to move about 8 joists so we could keep symmetry.

guess I shouldn't say it never happens, its just rare in this area, in the custom homes I have done like Wagner Homes, which they build $3 mill+ homes, they will have even the exact placement of the switches and receptacles on the plans, because they use a inlay wall panel and they want the receptacle in the middle of the inlay, and cans will land exactly where they want them, but they will have the measurements to the cans right on the print, and once in a while they will sister a joist or header it off so we can put a can in the exact place it is on the print, but for the most part, most spec house builders around here will just say "get e'm close" and they are not about to move a joist, I had enough problem getting plumbers to stop locating a bathroom sink vent pipe right up the middle of the sink cabinet right where I need to put my box for a wall sconce over the sink.:mad:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I had enough problem getting plumbers to stop locating a bathroom sink vent pipe right up the middle of the sink cabinet right where I need to put my box for a wall sconce over the sink.:mad:
I have a fix for that, if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.