gfi behind sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatfull

plans show a gfi and a switch for the disposal in the backsplash behind the sink. does anyone see a problem with this?
thanks

Split Bolt

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There is no problem but, you would still be required to install counter top receptacles on each side of the sink if the scenarios 210.52(C) exists.

IOW's, this wouldn't satisfy 210.52(C)

Roger

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
There is no problem but, you would still be required to install counter top receptacles on each side of the sink if the scenarios 210.52(C) exists. IOW's, this wouldn't satisfy 210.52(C)

Why couldn't this receptacle be used to satisfy 210.52(C)? E.g. if there were 18" of counter on one side of the sink, so that a receptacle is required for that counter space, and the receptacle is behind the sink, within 6" of the edge in question.

Cheers, Wayne

jumper

Why couldn't this receptacle be used to satisfy 210.52(C)? E.g. if there were 18" of counter on one side of the sink, so that a receptacle is required for that counter space, and the receptacle is behind the sink, within 6" of the edge in question.

Cheers, Wayne

I think you would need 12" behind the sink for the receptacle to count:

(C) Countertops. In kitchens, pantries, breakfast rooms,
dining rooms, and similar areas of dwelling units, receptacle
outlets for countertop spaces shall be installed in accordance
with 210.52(C)(1) through (C)(5).

Where a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink
is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and the
width of the countertop behind the range, counter-mounted
cooking unit, or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.), the
range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is considered
to divide the countertop space into two separate countertop
spaces as defined in 210.52(C)(4). Each separate countertop
space shall comply with the applicable requirements in
210.52(C).

2008 NEC

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I think you would need 12" behind the sink for the receptacle to count

I agree that without 12" behind the sink, the sink is not a countertop space. But for an 18" wide countertop space adjacent to the sink, does the required receptacle for that space need to be above directly the countertop space? Or can it be behind the sink, as long as it is close enough so the 18" wide countertop space meets the 24" rule (i.e. under 6" from the edge of the countertop space)?

Thanks, Wayne

jumper

I agree that without 12" behind the sink, the sink is not a countertop space. But for an 18" wide countertop space adjacent to the sink, does the required receptacle for that space need to be above directly the countertop space? Or can it be behind the sink, as long as it is close enough so the 18" wide countertop space meets the 24" rule (i.e. under 6" from the edge of the countertop space)?

Thanks, Wayne

I would say it has to be in the counter top space:

(5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall
be located above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above,
the counter top.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Thanks, Wayne

Wayne, see the illustration below.

counter_top_receptacles.jpg

Roger

drive1968

Having a receptacle behind the sink increases the chances that a cord will be draped across the sink. Having a switch there doesn't seem like a problem, but the receptacle seems like a poor design and safety choice to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.