laundry 20 a circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

What if there is no intended space? Is there a default place when no laundry area is planned? In the basement or garage? Where in the basement or garage?

If there's no designated laundry area in a dwelling, I just stick a 20a circuit to a duplex next to the panel.

resistance

What if there is no intended space? Is there a default place when no laundry area is planned? In the basement or garage? Where in the basement or garage?
If the plumbers did not run piping for a laundry, and the home does not show a space for laundry on the house plans, then I see no reason why one should have to be installed per NEC 210.52(F). Seems to be a waste. Note: The section does have exceptions, but not having one (Laundry outlet) doesn't fall under these exceptions---at least not for a one fam. dwell.. Seems to be an AHJ call in this case.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
If there's no designated laundry area in a dwelling, I just stick a 20a circuit to a duplex next to the panel.
This sounds like it will cover it, and a good idea if the AHJ has a problem. ;)

Yeah, but now we're putting a washing machine right next to a panel. It seems counter-intuitive.

Not that I think it's a big deal, but why introduce plumbing systems so close to a panel with user interaction?

480sparky

Yeah, but now we're putting a washing machine right next to a panel. It seems counter-intuitive.

Not that I think it's a big deal, but why introduce plumbing systems so close to a panel with user interaction?

Gimme a code reference that says the laundry can't be next to the panel.

480sparky

LOL. I can see where this is going!:D

I don't.

Could someone point out the danger here?

15755common045.jpg

Now, this, I have problems with:

P3050070.jpg

kwired

Electron manager

The electrical equipment does have space requirements--as presented in NEC 110.26.

I am reluctant to put outlets right next to panel for this reason. Many times homeowner will tell you they wish to put a freezer in the mechanical room. I always put a receptacle for them away from the panel otherwise when you come back to other work someday the freezer will be right in front of the panel. I have seen quite a few washers or dryers in violation of 110.26 also.

jetlag

I see his point if there is no laundry space why would you run the outlet any where . By the panel shows the ahj you complied . If they decide on a wash room area the circuit can be extended where needed

jetlag

This sounds like it will cover it, and a good idea if the AHJ has a problem. ;)

I'd like to see look on ahj face if you tell him the laundry circuit in on the kitchen c top. He would prob make a call to try to get advice , Then you quickly reply with , "they make a washer on rollers that drains into sink and has adapter to connect to a sink faucet." Not seen one in a while but know there were made at one time

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I wonder if there is a building code or plumbing code that requires a washer hookup by the plumber? It would make sense. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.