Connection to GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
But the continuous requirement is for GEC conductors, not GEC tap conductors.

End of 250.64(D)(1)...
Yes it is, I agree but the gec conductor is not complete. I do not see those as taps unless the GEC is complete. Take the two, so called, tap conductors and tap them at the end of the gec conductor--- is that not a splice.

What you are saying means I could take a #4 copper wire for a 200 amp service and run it 5' off the main electrode. Then I could "TAP" a conductor in the middle of the 5' piece and run it to the panel. That is a splice. No difference then what you are saying.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What you are saying means I could take a #4 copper wire for a 200 amp service and run it 5' off the main electrode. Then I could "TAP" a conductor in the middle of the 5' piece and run it to the panel. That is a splice. No difference then what you are saying.
Taps are only permitted when you have multiple service disconnects that require a connection to the grounding electrode system.

ZZDoug

Why did he not give enough info? 200amp service. By 250.66 A it could have been #6cu or #4al

Because the GEC is sized from the service conductor size, not the service size itself. Minimum size for 200a service is 2/0 copper, so assuming 2/0 (or 3/0) then #4 is fine. But he didnt say.

If it had been run to a rod or plate electrode, then yes, #6 would be okay. I dont think a well casing qualifies for that though.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Taps are only permitted when you have multiple service disconnects that require a connection to the grounding electrode system.
I realize that but I was trying to make a point. I guess I disagree with you, and others, whether the connection in the graphic is a tap. I just don't see this as a tap. IMO, you need to have something to tap from. The wire from the electrode connected to nothing is not a gec so how can you tap it.

Grounding Electrode Conductor. A conductor used to connect the system grounded conductor or the equipment to a grounding electrode or to a point on the grounding electrode system.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I realize that but I was trying to make a point. I guess I disagree with you, and others, whether the connection in the graphic is a tap. I just don't see this as a tap. IMO, you need to have something to tap from. The wire from the electrode connected to nothing is not a gec so how can you tap it.
Dennis,
It seems clear to me that the graphic supports the text as shown in 250.64(D)(1). In fact, the wording of the section seems to prohibit the unspliced GEC being directly connected to one of the service disconnects.
(1) Grounding Electrode Conductor Taps. Where the service is installed as permitted by 230.40, Exception No. 2, a common grounding electrode conductor and grounding electrode conductor taps shall be installed. The common grounding electrode conductor shall be sized in accordance with 250.66, based on the sum of the circular mil area of the largest ungrounded service-entrance conductor(s). Where the service-entrance conductors connect directly to a service drop or service lateral, the common grounding electrode conductor shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.66, Note 1. A tap conductor shall extend to the inside of each service disconnecting means enclosure. The grounding electrode conductor taps shall be sized in accordance with 250.66 for the largest conductor serving the individual enclosure. The tap conductors shall be connected to the common grounding electrode conductor by exothermic welding or with connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment in such a manner that the common grounding electrode conductor remains without a splice or joint.
It looks to me that the code requires either the method shown in the graphic you posted, or individual GECs from the grounding electrode to the service disconnects. It appears to prohibit a single unspliced GEC running to one of the service disconnects with taps to the others. There would be no technical reason to support that, but it appears that is what the words require.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Don, I somewhat agree with you but the concept does not seem to support 250.62(C) for continuous gec. I do not see an exception that states except for services with multiple discos. It seems to negate the concept of unbroken and the gec is thus dependent on a splitbolt. Why then would that not always be allowed?

Also the last sentence in 250.62(D)(1) says the tap conductor shall be connected to the gec. The noncontinuous run from the electrode to near the panel does not fit the definition of an GEC.

I know the graphic is clear so obviously MH agrees with you and I am certain I am not correct but I see ambiguity in these sections.

Alas, I am fortunate to be allowed to connect to the meter with my gec's.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.