Arc-Flash Opinions welcomed - Switchgear labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
Dear forum folks,
I have a situation that is very typical in industry - that I'd like to get opinions on.
The system is a 3000 kVA transformer/switchgear lineup, 480 Volt, 5000 amp.
The secondary of the transformer has 180 calories/cm^2 of incident energy (IE).
The main breaker occupies section 1 of this metal-enclosed gear.
The A&E firm I'm doing the Power Study for would like me to post the HRC Dangerous label on the transformer and first section of the gear, making it inaccessible while energized, but post labels on the remaining sections that represent the reduction in IE resulting from adjustments to the secondary main. Their contention is that the cast coil transformer has wrapped/insulated 5000-amp bus that only goes to section 1. Beyond that, sections 2 thorugh 5 only see the load side of that breaker.
A Siemens engineer agrees with that logic, on a personal level, but not speaking as the voice of Siemens.
It's difficult for me to agree with that assessment because there's a 32-foot Arc-Flash boundary around that breaker, and if you're racking out a distribution breaker, you're in that boundary, and you're interacting with that system. But I think the argument could be made that since the Dangerous bus does not enter any of the other sections, perhaps that 5000-amp bus is not being interacted with.
It's easy to be cautious and label everything Dangerous, but it makes the gear impossible to work with. I understand that the gear is not designed to contain the blast of an Arc-Flash, and if it flashed over while working in an adjacent HRC2 section, there could be collateral damage.
So I ask to the froum folks with experience in this area for their opinions.
Thanks for any responses.
John M

Last edited:

zog

Let me be sure I understand you correctly. The LV side of the transformer has 180cal.cm2, and after the main breaker you have something less than that?

If so, any onteraction with the main breaker (Racking, operating) would require the 180cal/cm2 to be observed, but any interaction downstream of the main (racking a feeder) would only require that Ei to be observed.

While I agree there is a slight chance an arc flash could occur on the line side of the main when working on the load side of the main, it is a very low probability. You are not "interacting" with the line side of the main part of the system, you are "interacting" with the load side, which apprantly has some lower Ei. I agree with your Siemens guy, and I think the 70E would agree. Just my opinion, interested to see what the other guys say too.

mayanees

Occupation
Thanks for the reply Zog. I was hoping you'd chime in. Yes, your understanding of the situation is accurate.

I think I'm comfortable with your summation - that I'm interacting with the load side, and not the line side. And the load side (distribution breakers) is in another section of the gear.

It makes sense to me, but it feels a whole lot better having other folks concur!

John M

Last edited:

mayanees

Occupation
Single-line attached, showing the line and load sides of the switchgear.
It's at 6.2 cal/cm^2 downstream of the secondary main.
John

ron

Recently had the receiver fingers of a rack out cubicle come loose. After racking the breaker in, they fell off and BANG.
I'm not comfortable thinking that racking a breaker in/out is only interacting with the load side of that breaker.

zog

Recently had the receiver fingers of a rack out cubicle come loose. After racking the breaker in, they fell off and BANG.
I'm not comfortable thinking that racking a breaker in/out is only interacting with the load side of that breaker.

I don't think either one of us is saying that Ron, racking the Main would require dealing with the 180cal/cm2. Which means doing it remotely or not at all.

mayanees

Occupation

Ron,

This is looking like I will post HRC Dangerous on the transformer enclosure and on the main breaker section, and HRC 2 on the distribution sections.

John M

mayanees

Occupation
Ron,
Check out the single-line pdf attached to post #5, showing 6.2 cals on the line side of the distribution breakers.
John

I agree with the consensus of the thread (Dangerous on the main section; Cat 2 on the load side). The only caveat is to make sure that what looks like sections from the outside isn't one big open box on the inside. If the walls are open between sections, which is very common, you only have one enclosure and the highest category label 'wins'.

Status
Not open for further replies.