Security Wiring ... Solder or crimp splices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

In fixed installations (no vibration and no flex), do you all prefer to crimp solid 22awg security wiring or solder and heat shrink the connections?

iwire

Staff member
Crimp.

It is all supervised so if for some reason a connection becomes bad it will be apparent.

IMPO there is usually not enough money in security alarm work to be soldering and shrink tubing each connection.

TwinCitySparky

In my book soldering security loop wiring is a good idea if you really care about system stability and no call backs. A good low volt guy (like me) can solder and shrink-wrap a bunch of splices in about the same time it takes to crimp and I'll go toe to toe with any ham fist to prove it. ;):D

iwire

Staff member
A good low volt guy (like me) can solder and shrink-wrap a bunch of splices in about the same time it takes to crimp and I'll go toe to toe with any ham fist to prove it. ;):D

It's always fun when people make such outrageous claims.:grin:

There is no way on this earth you can keep up with a good low volt guy making terminations with dolphin connectors.

You do not even have to strip the wire before crimping.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
With dolphin connectors you do not even have to strip the wire before crimping.

That's how they are designed but whether they are reliable is another story. Ever wonder why the phone company stopped using them many years ago? Add to that all of you who mash them with your linesmans. Even with the proper crimp tool (yes, there is a crimper for them that must be used) they were a problem.

The only time I will use them is with stripped and twisted conductors usually only to splice stranded to stranded or stranded to solid. Something you can't do with Scotch Locks.

We call them beanies by the way, and since security guys are about the only ones who still use them they are called "beanie boys".

-Hal

TwinCitySparky

There is no way on this earth you can keep up with a good low volt guy making terminations with dolphin connectors.

You have absolutely no idea. I was pretty much the Bob Badger of the low voltage world, on steroids. :D

I really can't believe you would even try to compare using Dolphins in that manner. That method has all the quality of the worst back stabbed devices - but worse. :D

TwinCitySparky

With dolphin connectors you do not even have to strip the wire before crimping.

That's how they are designed but whether they are reliable is another story. Ever wonder why the phone company stopped using them many years ago? Add to that all of you who mash them with your linesmans. Even with the proper crimp tool (yes, there is a crimper for them that must be used) they were a problem.

The only time I will use them is with stripped and twisted conductors usually only to splice stranded to stranded or stranded to solid. Something you can't do with Scotch Locks.

We call them beanies by the way, and since security guys are about the only ones who still use them they are called "beanie boys".

-Hal

So what do you call a journeyman who was a "beanie Boy"? :cool:

lakee911

So, sounds like either goes ... personally I like soldering in a fixed environment (no vibration), but crimp is usually faster.

Thanks for the opinions.

nhfire77

So, sounds like either goes ... personally I like soldering in a fixed environment (no vibration), but crimp is usually faster.

Thanks for the opinions.

A B wire crimp will be fine even with some vibrations, especially if its stranded.

mivey

Amen brother! Use the sealant type (DC-1000-S) here and keep on truckin'

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I guess I am in the minority than as I have not heard that type of crimp called a beanie. But I do see they are called that.
I had never heard either term before this thread. I assume that "beanies" comes from the fact that the manufacturers call them "B-Crimps".

iwire

Staff member
These are what I think of when I hear Beanie.

pRS1C-2160709w345.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.