Siding Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
As a follow up to my earlier question about Hardie siding. What about vinyl siding blocks that are installed over existing Gem Boxes. Does the box need to be extended out to the surface of the siding block (usually about an inch) OR can this gap be left open? I looked at 410.13, but I'm not sure the answer is clear. Are siding blocks UL listed as an enclosure?

In the past with this situation, I've used an Arlington BE-1 box extender to enclose the gap. Is this overkill as far as the code is concerned?

Thanks,

Mark

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I was working from the '05 code. It's the section that talks about covering flammable material between the box and the canopy.

Thanks,

Mark

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
As a follow up to my earlier question about Hardie siding. What about vinyl siding blocks that are installed over existing Gem Boxes. Does the box need to be extended out to the surface of the siding block (usually about an inch) OR can this gap be left open? I looked at 410.13, but I'm not sure the answer is clear. Are siding blocks UL listed as an enclosure?

In the past with this situation, I've used an Arlington BE-1 box extender to enclose the gap. Is this overkill as far as the code is concerned?

Thanks,

Mark
I vote for the box extension unless you can show that the siding piece is listed for the purpose it is being used for. It's possible it is.

And even if it is listed that way, I think a box extension is cleaner and a better install, but it may not be actually required.

Status
Not open for further replies.