nail on knock out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

I noticed the newer single gang 18.8 nail ons have quite large knock out I usually just put 1 #12 each knock out, is there any code you cant put two. But on the double gang with clamp I assume they intend for one cable each clamp.

jetlag

thanks tool

thanks tool

In the knock outs, you can put 2 cables in, if it has clamps, you can only put 1 cable per clamp.

~matt

Boy thats odd only 1 reply , I was getting worried people only put one in knock out so they didnt really know if could use 2 . I didnt want to have to pull some out. It just seemed to me be better to use 2 #12 than have the big gapping hole when 1 conductor is used in k o . The k o were not as big on the blue boxes , these are the black ones big blue is stocking now , you also get .8 more cu in over the blue 18 cu in.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Generally I will use one cable per hole but I have used 2 cables per hole in a pinch. I believe some of them are rated for 2 cables just as some connectors will allow 2 cables.

jetlag

thanks dennis

thanks dennis

Generally I will use one cable per hole but I have used 2 cables per hole in a pinch. I believe some of them are rated for 2 cables just as some connectors will allow 2 cables.

I prob should pull them out, it is just roughed right now, because I dont know where to check the box rating , its only a few boxes, anyway the wires are easier to strip if not on top of each other in same k o

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The NEC says more than one cable in a box KO is okay. Read the last sentence of the 314.17(C) exception.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I prob should pull them out, it is just roughed right now, because I dont know where to check the box rating , its only a few boxes, anyway the wires are easier to strip if not on top of each other in same k o

I strip the wires before they ever enter the box.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Boy thats odd only 1 reply , I was getting worried people only put one in knock out so they didnt really know if could use 2 . I didnt want to have to pull some out. It just seemed to me be better to use 2 #12 than have the big gapping hole when 1 conductor is used in k o . The k o were not as big on the blue boxes , these are the black ones big blue is stocking now , you also get .8 more cu in over the blue 18 cu in.

How does .8 cu in help us?

Hendrix

You don't strip the wire before you put it in the box?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
This sounds like an electricity 101 quiz question

1 extra space beyond an allowed box fill makes a device easier to install
2 if a box only lacks .8 to install another cable, adding .8 to box allows it
3 the more box space the merry

ans : all of the above :)

How does #2 apply?

(3) 14-2 + device = 18.0 cu in

(2) 14-3 + device = 18.0 cu in

12-2 + 12-3 + device = 18.0 cu in

How does .8 cu in help?

jetlag

How does #2 apply?

(3) 14-2 + device = 18.0 cu in

(2) 14-3 + device = 18.0 cu in

12-2 + 12-3 + device = 18.0 cu in

How does .8 cu in help?

On a 15 amp branch circuit a nail on box with a blank cover is used for a junction box and contains 3 # 14-2 nm cables and 1 #12-2 UF cable . To help prevent voltage drop the 12-2 uf was used to run to a remote storage building. Find the minimum cu in required for the nail on box.

(correct answer 18.75 cu in ) Darn I can use that 18.8 box for something :)

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
On a 15 amp branch circuit a nail on box with a blank cover is used for a junction box and contains 3 # 14-2 nm cables and 1 #12-2 UF cable . To help prevent voltage drop the 12-2 uf was used to run to a remote storage building. Find the minimum cu in required for the nail on box.

(correct answer 18.75 cu in ) Darn I can use that 18.8 box for something :)

(3) 14-2 = 12
(1) 12-2 = 4.5
EGC = 2.25
And no device

Thank you for the math lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.