Smoke Detector Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Are BRK/First Alert detectors compatible with Kidde/Firex? I know the manufacturers will say no but I see them co-mingled in the field all the time.

Split Bolt

I would say that, even if the "co-mingled" SDs work when tested, they may not work in a fire and you could be held liable for any loss of life or property. If I can't find the compatibility listed in the manuals or on the websites, I won't mix them. Not worth the risk.

dhalleron

There is a little article in the National Fire Alarm Code that says:

NFPA 72 - 2010 29.3.2 Fire-warning equipment shall be installed in accordance
with the listing and manufacturer?s published instructions.

Interconnected alarms of different makes might sometimes work together but if the manufacturer does not say so in their documentation then you are open to the usual liability if something goes wrong and insurance companies and lawyers get involved.

480sparky

If I need to add a smoke or two (say, for a basement finish), I just figure on replacing all the smokes in the house. They're probably due for it anyway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is no question that it is a violation and replacing them all is the proper way to do it if you cannot match the existing units.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Are BRK/First Alert detectors compatible with Kidde/Firex? I know the manufacturers will say no but I see them co-mingled in the field all the time.

You see it all the time because, idle speculation in this thread to the contrary notwithstanding, there is limited compatibility. Look here.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Probably not. Kidde already bought Firex and I'm told they are still not compatible.

The "Sieman's" vs. "Murray" scenario.

Correct me if I am wrong but, I thought the characteristics of the "signal" between the smoke detectors was dictated by fire code. So this will make them operate even if they are differing brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.