Mobile home service panel in closet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

I have never had the pleasure of working on a mobile home. Here is my question. Does a mobile home built in 2005 with the service panel in a closet violate the NEC? I say it has to be moved out of the closet, owner says no way.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never had the pleasure of working on a mobile home. Here is my question. Does a mobile home built in 2005 with the service panel in a closet violate the NEC? I say it has to be moved out of the closet, owner says no way.

Is it a clothes closet? Does it have the req. clearances?

jetlag

Is it a clothes closet? Does it have the req. clearances?

If there is a way to bend the rules the mobile home people will find it . Most mobile homes are not checked at factory , At a large plant here the inspector comes by once a month to spot check . I just ran underground service to a brand new single wide . I made two trips thru the home before I found the panel , the reason I missed it it was in a large walk in closet and I missed it because it was behind the door when you open it .. I removed the door to work so not block off the light if i closed it . They must get by code claiming no one can block the 30 x 36 required space because the door would not open . the cloths hanging rod is on oposite wall from panel and has plenty of clearance from that . The code says no panel in bath or closet, I never saw exception for behind the door with clearence. I have seen several this way sometimes the door swings the other way back to the cloths rake but they make sure panel is right in pathway when entering door.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Mobile homes are manufactured and approved by whomever so it is really not our issue. I was thinking the homeowners built a closet around it.

rcarroll

Shortly after I started inspecting, I failed a new mobile home installation for something, can't remember. I got a call from a HUD rep. who informed me the home was under their jurisdiction.:roll: I guess their ace trumped my king!:)

jetlag

Shortly after I started inspecting, I failed a new mobile home installation for something, can't remember. I got a call from a HUD rep. who informed me the home was under their jurisdiction.:roll: I guess their ace trumped my king!:)
They call it a mobile trailer when it works in their favor , but get po ed if called trailer trash and inform us it is a manufactured home. I like to keep those little receps they use to put on end of extension cords it is small needs no box and with a little silicon where cable enters water tight. Oh I get them some time when customer calls because when he unpluged something the paneling came off the wall with the outlet in it . they dont fasten to stud just have ears like romod box. I used shallow nail on box and put blank cover over other hole in panel :roll:

lakee911

They call it a mobile trailer when it works in their favor , but get po ed if called trailer trash and inform us it is a manufactured home. I like to keep those little receps they use to put on end of extension cords it is small needs no box and with a little silicon where cable enters water tight. Oh I get them some time when customer calls because when he unpluged something the paneling came off the wall with the outlet in it . they dont fasten to stud just have ears like romod box. I used shallow nail on box and put blank cover over other hole in panel :roll:

Wow ... After reading that about 12 times, I've come up with the following translation. (Sorry):

They call it a "mobile trailer" when it works in their favor. When others refer to it that way, they get ticked off and inform us that it is a "manufacturered home."

Sometimes customers call because the customer has unplugged something and the paneling came off of the wall with the outlet in it. The receptacles that are used, from the factory, don't fasten to the stud--they have ears like a remodel box. To repair, I use a shallow nail on box of the appropriate size to cover the hole and install one receptacle and blank covers over the other gang(s).

I like to keep those little receptacles that are used, in the mobile home, to place on the end of extension cords. They're small and need no box. With an little silicone they're even watertight. (Really? If you silicone up the receptacle, how do you plug anything in?)

mcclary's electrical

First, it's not a service panel because that has to be outside for this app. So when you get your SERVICE inspection, the inspector does not even need to enter the house, he will never see the SUB panel(he doesn't care wher the manufacturer put it)

mcclary's electrical

Wow ... After reading that about 12 times, I've come up with the following translation. (Sorry):

They call it a "mobile trailer" when it works in their favor. When others refer to it that way, they get ticked off and inform us that it is a "manufacturered home."

Sometimes customers call because the customer has unplugged something and the paneling came off of the wall with the outlet in it. The receptacles that are used, from the factory, don't fasten to the stud--they have ears like a remodel box. To repair, I use a shallow nail on box of the appropriate size to cover the hole and install one receptacle and blank covers over the other gang(s).

I like to keep those little receptacles that are used, in the mobile home, to place on the end of extension cords. They're small and need no box. With an little silicone they're even watertight. (Really? If you silicone up the receptacle, how do you plug anything in?)

thanks,,,much better

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
i have hooked up many mobile homes in the last few years and have never seen one with arc fault breakers either,worked on one last week that had both bathroom receptacles and half of all the lights on the same circuit

hurk27

Mobile Homes/manufactured homes, fall under Federal regulations, HUD is the AHJ, no local inspector has any right to inspect the insides of them.

Codes for mobile homes are CFR 24 3280.800 for electrical

A mobile home manufactured in 2005 would have been under the last adaptation of CFR 24 which resourced the 1993 NEC NFPA 70, requirement for panels in closets was not in the NEC then.

The latest CFR 24 3280.800 uses the 2005 NEC, it was adopted in 2006.

By definition any mobile home manufactured after June, 16, 1986 is by definition a manufactured home,

Attached is the word version of the last cycle (1993)

And here is a link to the 2006 cycle:CFR 24 3280

Scroll down to .800 for electrical requirements.

jetlag

Well its close , sorry I like to abbreviate a lot on here , most know what it is , for remodelling I used remod. but made typo and put romod. :confused: the boxes they use wont usually be close enough to stud to do what you said , They seem to put them right in center between two studs so will get maximum bow in and out when using receptacle. :) So I put my box on stud and a blank cover over other outlet hole , (sometimes need back up strip to screw into) On the water tight I said the silicon goes where the cables enter,, by water tight I didnt mean like the nec definition , I meant similiar to an extension cord molded plug . :)

hurk27

Here is what it says on panel board locations (1993) version, which a 2005 manufactured trailer would fall under:

3280.804(f) The distribution panelboard shall not be located in a bathroom,
or in any other inaccessible location, but shall be permitted just
inside a closet entry if the location is such that a clear space of 6
inches to easily ignitable materials is maintained in front of the
distribution panelboard,
and the distribution panelboard door can be
extended to its full open position (at least 90 degrees). A clear
working space at least 30 inches wide and 30 inches in front of the
distribution panelboard shall be provided. This space shall extend from
floor to the top of the distribution panelboard.

Now does it make any sense to allow a 6" clearance of easily ignitable materials, but right below all in the same article it requires 30" clearance:roll:

And we think the NEC is messed up:cool:

Last edited:

jetlag

Here is what it says on panel board locations (1993) version, which a 2005 manufactured trailer would fall under:

Now does it make any sense to allow a 6" clearance of easily ignitable materials, but right below all in the same article it requires 30" clearance:roll:

And we think the NEC is messed up:cool:

Thats good hurk, for you to find that, also on all the ones Ive seen something just past 6 '' would be right in the door way . Only way it could make since is if they mean down at floor like carpet . But I cant remember what was on the floor. Wait I remember I ve seen some that were not walk in . You had to slide the things on hangers back to get to box , dont see how that is 6 inches , the 30'' must be for things fastened in place ? :confused:

hurk27

Thats good hurk, for you to find that, also on all the ones Ive seen something just past 6 '' would be right in the door way . Only way it could make since is if they mean down at floor like carpet . But I cant remember what was on the floor. Wait I remember I ve seen some that were not walk in . You had to slide the things on hangers back to get to box , don't see how that is 6 inches , the 30'' must be for things fastened in place ? :confused:

Want to see another goof:

Electrical testing.

(a) Dielectric strength test. The wiring of each manufactured home
shall be subjected to a 1-minute, 900 to 1079 volt dielectric strength
test (with all switches closed) between live parts and the manufactured
home ground, and neutral and the manufactured home ground.
Alternatively, the test may be performed at 1080 to 1250 volts for 1
second. This test shall be performed after branch circuits are complete
and after fixtures or appliances are installed. Fixtures or appliances
which are listed shall not be required to withstand the dielectric
strength test.

Wonder how many appliances they had to replace before they figured out hitting them with over a 1,000 volts is not good?:cool:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Yes it violates the NEC.

It is a HUD approved unit.

Only field installed electric is subject to inspections and what is codified in your area.

GG

First, it's not a service panel because that has to be outside for this app. So when you get your SERVICE inspection, the inspector does not even need to enter the house, he will never see the SUB panel(he doesn't care wher the manufacturer put it)

There is no disco outside so it is a service panel, and even if the panel was outside every "service inspection" I have ever had for a house the inspector wants in the house to look for GFCI receptacles, and smoke detectors. I just have a feeling that the inspector is going to want in the trailer and red flag the closet panel.

Last edited:

GG

Mobile Homes/manufactured homes, fall under Federal regulations, HUD is the AHJ, no local inspector has any right to inspect the insides of them.

Codes for mobile homes are CFR 24 3280.800 for electrical

A mobile home manufactured in 2005 would have been under the last adaptation of CFR 24 which resourced the 1993 NEC NFPA 70, requirement for panels in closets was not in the NEC then.

The latest CFR 24 3280.800 uses the 2005 NEC, it was adopted in 2006.

By definition any mobile home manufactured after June, 16, 1986 is by definition a manufactured home,

Attached is the word version of the last cycle (1993)

And here is a link to the 2006 cycle:CFR 24 3280

Scroll down to .800 for electrical requirements.
Looks like after reading 3280.804(f) that it can indeed be located in a closet. Thanks for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.