Megger and Hi pot asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddross

New so be easy on me. I work in a AC factory and we hipot all cables and wires and I understand what is going on with this. Now I have a buyer that wants his unit megger. These cable are control cables no more then 10 feet long and are 120v . Now if I have hipoted them what advange is there to megging? These are new cables. And if there is what kind of reading should I be looking for on the megger? I have a Biddle megger 359 hand crank.

zog

New so be easy on me. I work in a AC factory and we hipot all cables and wires and I understand what is going on with this. Now I have a buyer that wants his unit megger. These cable are control cables no more then 10 feet long and are 120v . Now if I have hipoted them what advange is there to megging? These are new cables. And if there is what kind of reading should I be looking for on the megger? I have a Biddle megger 359 hand crank.

Huh? Someone wants his unit meggered? You work in a factory that makes AC? (We usually call those power plants).

Are you doing an AC or DC hipot test on these cables?

toddross

We build water chillers (100 ton to 3000 ton cooling units). Ac hipot. This is the control wiring for the units. 12 and 14 ga. wires ,120 volt

toddross

We hi pot all units at 1250 volts on the 120 volt side. Now they want me to megger those same wires to insure the insul. is good. These are going in a nuclear plant in japan. So I think they just want to make sure the insul. is good. Not sure why.

brian john

We hi pot all units at 1250 volts on the 120 volt side. Now they want me to megger those same wires to insure the insul. is good. These are going in a nuclear plant in japan. So I think they just want to make sure the insul. is good. Not sure why.

What is your hipot and what is the duration of the test, is your hipot test AC or DC.

SORRY I should have asked these questions last time.

toddross

This is a AC at 1250 volts and it's for 1 sec. This is mainly to check for dead grounds or broken inlu. Stray wire ends from stranded wire,

SG-1

The advantage to the megger reading is that everyone has a megger. Few people have an AC dielectric test set, due to cost & the test is destructive.

You will be supplying the customer with a base reading that he will compare with the readings that he will take when doing future preventive maintance. Some of our network protector customers request this.

S'mise

Yes, I realize it's a very "Rough" rule and the readings will vary widely.
Perhaps you could just tell me if there is a better/safer "rule of thumb" under normal circumstances or do I have to pay to join Neta to find out? :roll:

zog

Yes, I realize it's a very "Rough" rule and the readings will vary widely.
Perhaps you could just tell me if there is a better/safer "rule of thumb" under normal circumstances or do I have to pay to join Neta to find out? :roll:

Let's keep the rules of thumb to the DIY forums. Minumum insulation resistance requirements will vary based on the equipment type and voltage rating, are you looking for something specific?

richxtlc

A hipot and a megger test for different characteristics of the insulation under test. A megger tests for the quality of the insulation, its leakage. A hipot tests for its dielectric withstand capability. A cable can pass a hipot test and fail a megger test. There is usually no specification for hipoting a cable other than level and time. If the milliamps stay constant or decrease the cable passes the test. On the other hand a megger test, the cable must be above a minimum value in order to pass.
When doing a hipot test, the first test is to perform a megger for one minute, then, if ok, perform the hipot. At the completion of the hipot, re megger the cable to insure that it did not damage the insulation.

S'mise

megger

megger

Yes, makes sense but I see nothing wrong with a rough rule of thumb to indicate a problem may exist. If their is any question at all I would certainly investigate farther. So what is the answer to Todds meggering question? Naturally you want to know the wire size and voltage. Do you also want him to measure the lenth of the wire, describe the enclosure type, components and termination? It seens to me he's just looking for a reasonable reading to determine if the insulation is compromized. Realisticly I would say anything over 2meg is probably fine. I have not heard any other numbers. Or are we ridgid on having all the exact details?

zog

Well Brian already gave the NETA reference but these are headed to a nuclear plant in Japan so likely they will have a different standard to adhere to. Nuclear plants don't use rules of thumb, they have very strict standards. Here in the US most nuclear plants will follow EPRI recomendations, not sure about Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.