Modifying PVC fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

Is it permissible to modify a preformed PVC fitting (such as cutting a 90 degree elbow to make two 45 degree elbows)? I found nothing on Carlon's webside allowing or disallowing such a thing. I'm assuming that one can because the straight sticks of conduit can be bent or cut w/o issues.

Thx,
Jason

Jim W in Tampa

I have done it but an inspector could call you on it. Problem with it is the middle of a 90 is not straight and you might not get good fit. Sticks are intended to be cut.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have done it but an inspector could call you on it. Problem with it is the middle of a 90 is not straight and you might not get good fit. Sticks are intended to be cut.

Same with EMT.

I designed a re-forming tool that re-shapes the tubing back to circular after a piece has been cut in the bend.

So, if you did cut bends in PVC, something like the tool for EMT I drew up would be needed, or some heat, a careful hand and a good set of eyes.

lakee911

That's a very good point. Thanks!

Is an elbow a 'fitting'?
db

I don't know is it. What else would you call it? Carlon Master Catalog refers to fittings. http://retail.tnb.com/MasterCatalog/Master Catalog.pdf Page 22.

Is a factory 90 an elbow?

According to the Carlon Master Catalog, it is. http://retail.tnb.com/MasterCatalog/Master Catalog.pdf Page 24

why not just buy 45's or bend a stick with your pipe bender

I don't know ... not my 45's and not my pipe bender. I'd have to ask the Contractor!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Back when I was a helper, we needed to run a feeder over a duct and under a steel beam. I cut a 3" EMT elbow in half to make an offset. A bent offset would have been too long.

I used a half-round file to smooth the cut edges to fit into the coupling to rejoin the halves. I did have to sledge-hammer the flattened parts back to round to fit the coupling.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
That's a very good point. Thanks!

I don't know is it. What else would you call it? Carlon Master Catalog refers to fittings. http://retail.tnb.com/MasterCatalog/Master Catalog.pdf Page 22.

The heading is conduit, fittings and accessories. It could any of the three. From the NEC, 'like a lock nut or a bushing'. Another term left up to interpretation, but I don't see a piece of conduit being used as conduit being classified as anything other than conduit.

According to the Carlon Master Catalog, it is. http://retail.tnb.com/MasterCatalog/Master Catalog.pdf Page 24

I see that, good find. In our locality we don't refer to them as elbows. Just 45's, 90's or sweeps.

I don't know ... not my 45's and not my pipe bender. I'd have to ask the Contractor!

The reason could be as simple as an overstock of 90's. Being able to use them as 45's instead of buying additional stock could be a reason.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
It looks to me like all the elbows have a straight section on the end that's made to fit in the coupling of the pipe.

If you cut an elbow in the middle, then you will have a curved end you would have to glue into a straight coupling.

It just doesn't seem like it would make a very good joint.

220/221

It looks to me like all the elbows have a straight section on the end that's made to fit in the coupling of the pipe.

If you cut an elbow in the middle, then you will have a curved end you would have to glue into a straight coupling.

It just doesn't seem like it would make a very good joint.

I do it all the time. Sometimes it's a good fit, other times you have to help it.

With bigger pipe (2" plus) you sometimes have to heat it up a bit to round it out. A POCO inspector once told me not to do it in his presence. I understand their point but, with just a little effort, you can make it perfect.

As far as using 45's, A) sometimes you need a custom degree bend, B) it's easier to stock only 90's.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Would it be equally terrible to shorten one end of a 45? Then, it would look just like half of a 90.

All the PVC 45's and 90' I've seen were made from straight sticks, judging by the printing on them.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Cutting elbows in the middle to make different angles is hokey...

I keep an 1.5" heat blanket as well as a heat gun on the truck at all times. There's no reason to be cutting elbows up, that just looks like crap IMO, even if it is in the bottom of a ditch....

Jim W in Tampa

Cutting elbows in the middle to make different angles is hokey...

I keep an 1.5" heat blanket as well as a heat gun on the truck at all times. There's no reason to be cutting elbows up, that just looks like crap IMO, even if it is in the bottom of a ditch....

Only reason i would do it is if in middle of job and ran out of 45's , had no heat gun or no electric and no pipe bender. And even then if its 3/4 or 1/2 i would use tail pipe on truck to heat it. As far as legal that is pushing it. Can you afford a bad connection ? We all come up on unexspected needed fittings but this is not a good cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.