Old work steel boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
This is how they come from the supply house. I pic 1 note the angle of the 6/32's. In pic 2 note how the bracket that mates with the drywall is set back from the front of the box.

Cut-inadj.jpg

Cut-inadj2.jpg

Occupation
Inspector
I'll be the seventh or eighth to go with the Jiffy Hangers or Patton Hangers or Madison Straps or whatever they are called.

With the old work box I make sure I take off the "Mouse Ears" on the device so the plate fits nice and flush.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I use the Maddies, to, and get them tight by pushing in on the edge of the box as I pull on the strip, fold it in tightly, and crimp with my Kleins. That makes the box tight to the drywall, and keeps the strips from hitting device screws.

Certainly the tiger grip is the only solution for masonry walls.
Yes, they are, and don't call me Certainly!

Hey, wait. That doesn't work. :roll:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I will add I always remove the top and bottom holding brackets, take my klines and pull the 6/32 ears back to 90? from the face of the box then reinstall the brackets evenly and slightly forward of the face.
I haven't noticed the device ears being off of 90, but I also adjust the brackets so the back of the bracket is on the same plane as the front of the box.

After all, plastic OWB's are molded that way, and everyone knows they're the best. ;)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I pic 1 note the angle of the 6/32's.
I see, said the blind man. Yes, I've noticed that, but it's not usually that severe.
In pic 2 note how the bracket that mates with the drywall is set back from the front of the box.
Yep. Makes the entire install look sloppy.
This is after tweaking. Makes device and plate installation a snap.
Now, that's a well-tweaked box.

Disclaimer: I hereby proclaim that I have no responsibility whatsoever for the content of any responses to my last statement.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
With the old work box I make sure I take off the "Mouse Ears" on the device so the plate fits nice and flush.
Absolutely. Plastic or metal, the ears interfere with a flush install and plate-to-wall fit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Chris. I always adjust the ears because they generally are install to far back. If you leave it like that then the box extends beyond the rock. Adjust the ears forward of the box just a tad and everything fits better.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

Vertex

I find it extremely rare that I need to "float" a box for old work. I almost always use the nearest stud. If I were installing a power receptacle, I wouldn't even think about floating a box. I see no reason why that Arlington box can't be used for old work applications provided a stud is present.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I find it extremely rare that I need to "float" a box for old work. I almost always use the nearest stud. If I were installing a power receptacle, I wouldn't even think about floating a box. I see no reason why that Arlington box can't be used for old work applications provided a stud is present.
I agree but I don't think that side bracket could be used very easily.

Arlington makes similar boxes in plastic for nm cable.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Have you ever tried installing a GFCI or a dimmer in one of those?
Sure have. All the time. If the box is manufactured so the GFI or dimmer doesn't fit, I don't get that brand of wall case again.

I work on homes with iron pipe gas lines, iron pipe hydronic systems with the runs in the walls, iron plumbing pipe, and energized knob and tube installed at the time of original construction . . . all tend to make relying on stud only mounting of rework cases as being unnecessarily restrictive. It's nice to have the option to mount direct to a stud, but, in my experience, I've got to be more flexible and include the floating mount as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.