Fire Alarm Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragin Cajun

Anybody have experience with Red Alert? Plenum Type MC-FPLP
Fire Alarm and Control by Southwire? (Or anything similar.)

It's basically MC cable for fire alarm systems. Running metal conduit in many places is near - if not impossible in the ceilings.

We just had the kick off meeting for designing the replacement of the existing fire alarm system at a hospital. It looks like we will likely need to replace the existing wiring and devices as well as the fire alarm system proper. Plus, we will likely need to install the new system while leaving the existing system in service. Ain't gonna to be cheap!

Thanks,

RC

nhfire77

Southwires red alert is exactly like MC no learning curve. I love it.

Coleman cable makes a continous sheath Fire rated MC. It's a PITA to work with but cheaper that the standard interlocked armor.

Most hospitals require conduit for their fire alarm as a spec not as a code requirement. Of course CI cable may be needed for risers etc.

I haven't seen a hospital with MC for their Fire Alarm in recent memory. If they want EMT, bid it that way and include an alternate bid with MC. Might work.

ArcNSpark

We've used that fire alarm MC on a million jobs. Works just the same as standard 14-2 MC wire. Hopefully you get the red MC with color codes on the outside; white/blue hash marks every 10 feet or so for the enunciation circuits, and black hashes for the detection circuits. Makes it easier for everyone to know what is what.

Make sure you're up-to-date on your area's fire codes regarding separation of circuits before you get too far. In RI, you need at least three feet between wires of the same circuits in vertical space (going up or down a wall, finished or between open studs), 18" separation when riding horizontally across a wall or beam, and I think four feet running horizontally across a ceiling area.

Also, in our area we need to use steel MC connectors in fire alarm systems as well; not the zinc molded ones with lock rings.

Good luck, bro...go make some money!

cadpoint

I don't know your a State away, I searched around on the Web engine and I came across this WEB PAGE.

If they spec'd something, there might be other reasons why they want something, is it a viable substatution I frankly don't know.

If you read down through all the listing that are in Relevant Codes and Standards towards the bottom of the web page you might find a more relevant answer.

ArcNSpark

My advice is to find out from that town's fire marshal what exactly he wants. Fire marshals' expectations and requirements vary from town to town much more than electrical inspectors, IMHO.

Just trying to save you from having to fix a bunch of things that are perfectly acceptable under the NEC but not in the NFPA.

Good luck, bro.

peter d

We've used that fire alarm MC on a million jobs. Works just the same as standard 14-2 MC wire. Hopefully you get the red MC with color codes on the outside; white/blue hash marks every 10 feet or so for the enunciation circuits, and black hashes for the detection circuits. Makes it easier for everyone to know what is what.

Chances are he won't get that particular product. That's an AFC product made at their factory in New Bedford, MA to meet the RI Fire Alarm code for the peculiar color coding requirements.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We've used both the 16-4 and 14-4. The premium over regular "fire wire" is about 4X, but a lot less than EMT or RMC.

Is the existing system conventional or addressable? You should be able to reuse the existing wiring infrastructure with a little careful planning for circuit cut-overs. Unless of course the customer insists. But don't forget you'll have to demo or tag for reuse every lick of old wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.