#12 good for 30 amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
When it's terminations are rated for 90? C and other restrictions do not apply. You can also use it for derating.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome to the Forum...
if I may add to my learned colleague's comments...

The post Title referred to "30 amps", the body to "actual value".
They covered the 30 amp rating, but, you might want to note that 240.4(D) which reference 240.4(E) & (G) and allows you to use the 75? rating (20 amps for 14, 25 for 12) in certain specific applications.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If I remember correctly, I think you can use these values for motors. For example heat pumps or AC units.
That is correct. As Roger stated 240.4 (G) allows you to use the actually value for a/c, motors etc. 240.4(D) is what restricts us and (G) states where it is okay to use the actual values. Thus #12 is good for 25 amps for all those items in 240.4(G).

jetlag

That is correct. As Roger stated 240.4 (G) allows you to use the actually value for a/c, motors etc. 240.4(D) is what restricts us and (G) states where it is okay to use the actual values. Thus #12 is good for 25 amps for all those items in 240.4(G).

We are allowed to do this because motor loads are better protected than normal branch circuits because of motor overload devices .

Minuteman

In other words. For the loads listed in 240.4 (G), you can install a conductor that is rated to carry the minimum ampacity required per the nameplate, and set the ocd at the maximum required per the nameplate.

Example: 2 ton A/C condenser nameplate
Min Amps: 19
Max Amps: 25

Install a #12 with a 25 Amp breaker.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In other words. For the loads listed in 240.4 (G), you can install a conductor that is rated to carry the minimum ampacity required per the nameplate, and set the ocd at the maximum required per the nameplate.

Yes, but you could also use #12 for a min. cir. ampacity of 24 and still be compliant.

240.4(G) will lead one to 440.6, which permits this type of usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.