Fusing Light Poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gategator37

Has anybody ever fused individually light poles? Say I put several lights on a 50 amp breaker and a ground fault occured at the fixture, rather than it tripping the 50 amp breaker and taking out a whole row of lights it just opened the fuse.

If you guys have ever done this what type of setup do you use?

Thanks for your help.

rcarroll

When I started the trade, the town I was working in provided all houses with a post light out front with free power. The POCO allowed us to tap the line side of the meter. We would install one of those rubber 2 wire lamp holders with a fuse adapter & 1 amp fuse. All inside the meter housing.

iwire

Staff member
Has anybody ever fused individually light poles? Say I put several lights on a 50 amp breaker and a ground fault occured at the fixture, rather than it tripping the 50 amp breaker and taking out a whole row of lights it just opened the fuse.

Thanks for your help.

This is pretty common and the maker of the ballasts for HID lighting will usually recommend a fuse size to use.

For example, a 1000 watt HID running on 480 will get about a 5 amp fuse.

We have used class CC fuses with a fuse-holder made by Copper Bussmann

jumper

Sorry, I don't have a photo. It's just a rubber lamp holder w/ a black & white conductor out the end. We would install the adapter & fuse.

This it?

503832-Leviton-875-55-Rubber-Outdoor-Light-Bulb-Socket-Pig-Tail-Wires.jpg

Strife

I don't think it's a code requirement, but here in S FL all three counties used to require fuses in a pole. Heck, Broward county used to require fuses in any "ballast/transformer" luminaire. In certain ways I agree, in other ways I think it's a waste. It kinda makes sense to have the fuse blow on an individual light rather than take all lights out, but what do we avoid? At best an annoyance, after all all buildings are required to have emergency lights. Besides, in over 15 years I did service calls, I never seen a ballast take out the whole circuit. Same on light poles. There's higher chances to have a short down from the fuse in the ground than up the pole. And again from experience, I never seen a ballast take out the whole circuit.

Thanks for your help.

lakee911

When I started the trade, the town I was working in provided all houses with a post light out front with free power. The POCO allowed us to tap the line side of the meter. We would install one of those rubber 2 wire lamp holders with a fuse adapter & 1 amp fuse. All inside the meter housing.

To my thinking it is.
Also used one for a test light long ago.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it still ... :confused: ... why would you need to put a fuse holder and a lamp holder inside the meter housing? If you were putting a fuse inside the lamp holder, I could see that but why put the fuse adapter then? Sorry...I'm dense I guess!

jumper

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it still ... :confused: ... why would you need to put a fuse holder and a lamp holder inside the meter housing? If you were putting a fuse inside the lamp holder, I could see that but why put the fuse adapter then? Sorry...I'm dense I guess!

I was curious so I did a search. It seems these adapters are used to limit the fuse rating. They prevent overfusing a load; ie, a 5 amp fuse on a 2 amp load.

http://www.surplussales.com/electrical/Fuses/ElecFuses-7.html

iwire

Staff member
Besides, in over 15 years I did service calls, I never seen a ballast take out the whole circuit. Same on light poles. There's higher chances to have a short down from the fuse in the ground than up the pole. And again from experience, I never seen a ballast take out the whole circuit.

That is odd because I have seen it countless times.

jumper

I was curious so I did a search. It seems these adapters are used to limit the fuse rating. They prevent overfusing a load; ie, a 5 amp fuse on a 2 amp load.

http://www.surplussales.com/electrical/Fuses/ElecFuses-7.html

It seems that 240.52 may require these S type fuse adapters.

iwire

Staff member
FWIW using these lamp holders for fuse holders is a code violation.

503832-Leviton-875-55-Rubber-Outdoor-Light-Bulb-Socket-Pig-Tail-Wires.jpg

410.90 Screw Shell Type. Lampholders of the screw shell
type shall be installed for use as lampholders only. Where
supplied by a circuit having a grounded conductor, the
grounded conductor shall be connected to the screw shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.