gas range on same circuit as Microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetcav

Is there anyghting that would prohibit me from running a wire out of the overt he range microwave down to a recep for a gas range. I know the micro is run off a dedicated 20 amp circuit we wired for a electric range and customer changed her mind now she wants gas.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
... we wired for a electric range and customer changed her mind now she wants gas.
I suggest installing a 120v receptacle on the range cable (one conductor should be marked), perhaps in a 4" sq with a raised cover, and pigtailing the ungrounded conductor in the panel to fit a 1p breaker (with the marked conductor on the neutral bar, of course.)

That's exactly how I've done several electric-to-gas range conversions. It also leaves the way to reverse the conversion in the future.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would bet that the manufacturer instructions call for a separate circuit on the microwave and art. 422.16(B)(4) #5 also req. a individual circuit for the hood.

That being said I have done it Larry's way but have also done it the way you proposed. I think I will make a code proposal.:)

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Is there anyghting that would prohibit me from running a wire out of the overt he range microwave down to a recep for a gas range. I know the micro is run off a dedicated 20 amp circuit we wired for a electric range and customer changed her mind now she wants gas.

No violation. 210.52(B)(2) exception 2 allows it.

gndrod

Opposite side bay

Opposite side bay

Is there another outlet on the other side of the wall that can be fed to a new cut-in for the range igniter? Just a thought.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Are you proposing to defeat 110.3(B)? Good man.:grin:

Actually I would love to kill that one. I believe in most cases it is used by manufacturers to cover their butts and not follow the intent of the code. I ignore that in certain situations. This would be one- I also believe the proposal may not make it because of this.

danickstr

amazing that the former electric range only ran on 20 amps. I think there is an exception also so you can use either of the two counter circuits to do the ignition for a gas stovetop/range.

sweetcav

We ran 8-3 w/40 amp breaker when we wired it but now that it is onsite the customer is saying it should have been a gas range. We are gonna leave the existing Electric range plug there. and now I just need to get a recep for the gas range. Yes it it a micro/range hood.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
We ran 8-3 w/40 amp breaker when we wired it but now that it is onsite the customer is saying it should have been a gas range. We are gonna leave the existing Electric range plug there. and now I just need to get a recep for the gas range. Yes it it a micro/range hood.
If you want to stay compliant just do as Larry said. Take the range recep. out and install a 120V duplex rec. using the range wires. It can always be converted back.

220/221

The micro in question (built in) needs it's own circuit.

Convert the 240 range circuit or pull off the kitchen countertop circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Mike, Dennis has posted the requirement twice in this thread. 422.16(B)(4) #5 Requires an individual branch circuit for the micro/hood receptacle.

Well it does for a range hood so one could argue this, however I happen to know the man responsible for this change and the reasoning was specifically for microwave range hoods.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Mike, Dennis has posted the requirement twice in this thread. 422.16(B)(4) #5 Requires an individual branch circuit for the micro/hood receptacle.

422.16 is for flexible cords. 422.16(B)(4) is for range hoods not for microwaves.

422.16(B) calls it an appliance. So 250.52(B)(2) applies.

Again what code?

And if I have been wrong on everything else I would use 422.20.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
422.16 is for flexible cords. 422.16(B)(4) is for range hoods not for microwaves.

422.16(B) calls it an appliance. So 250.52(B)(2) applies.

Again what code?

And if I have been wrong on everything else I would use 422.20.

You are getting so transparent. :)

First off I have yet to see a microwave range hood that didn't call for an individual circuit.

Do you think a range hood/ microwave doesn't have a flexible cord?

Why do you think a standard range hood without a cord doesn't have to be on an individual circuit but one with a cord does? Mike I think you like playing with people and being contrary. That's okay by me but sometimes you really drag out a thread with little bits of info at a time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.