gas range on same circuit as Microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
You are getting so transparent. :)

First off I have yet to see a microwave range hood that didn't call for an individual circuit.

Do you think a range hood/ microwave doesn't have a flexible cord?

Why do you think a standard range hood without a cord doesn't have to be on an individual circuit but one with a cord does? Mike I think you like playing with people and being contrary. That's okay by me but sometimes you really drag out a thread with little bits of info at a time. :)

Dennis you are correct I love to argue, but that does not change the facts. I will also admit that I like to be right. It is fun being right. BUT

We are discussing the NEC and its, sometimes poorly, wording.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis you are correct I love to argue, but that does not change the facts. I will also admit that I like to be right. It is fun being right. BUT

We are discussing the NEC and its, sometimes poorly, wording.

Yes, sometimes it is...:) However you can make a proposal to get it changed rather than play with our heads. :grin:

Seriously I have made 3 proposals on this article. One was to include microwave/range hoods another-- you'll hate me, is to require an individual circuit for hoods & microwave hoods whether they are wired with cord or direct wired. Talk about not being a design manual. The third was to put an except. to #5 that is the same as in 210.52 which allows the hood to be on the same circuit as a gas range.

Well see-- probably none will get accepted.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Yes, sometimes it is...:) However you can make a proposal to get it changed rather than play with our heads. :grin:

Seriously I have made 3 proposals on this article. One was to include microwave/range hoods another-- you'll hate me, is to require an individual circuit for hoods & microwave hoods whether they are wired with cord or direct wired. Talk about not being a design manual. The third was to put an except. to #5 that is the same as in 210.52 which allows the hood to be on the same circuit as a gas range.

Well see-- probably none will get accepted.

I agree with everything that you said except I think that 210.52 already allows this.

DetroitEE

"Additional small-appliance branch circuits shall be permitted to supply receptacle outlets in the kitchen ***"

So what does this mean to you?

Doesn't this just mean that you can provide 3, 4, 5, or however many SABCs you want in addition to the required two? A range hood still doesn't fall under the description of what can be connected to a SABC, as it is not listed in the exceptions under "No other outlets", 210.52(B)(2).

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What about a receptacle in the dining room? I'll bet it is more than 12" below the counter.

What do you call a microwave circuit?
I'm guilty of that: I've placed a (not above the range) microwave receptacle and dining-room receptacles on one circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.