Size of receptice tails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennG

Is there any code reference that specifies what size the tails for a receptacle must be? I was always taught to keep the same size wire throughout the entire circuit based on the OCPD, including the tails to a receptacle. Both of my supervisors at work insist that it's to use a 14 gauge tail on an 20 amp circuit, since the distance is so short. However i don't agree and would like to find a reference if one exists so i can back my point, or be shown in wrong.

250.122 specifies the sizing for a bonding jumper, and if that says that you cant use anything other than 12 gauge on a 20 amp OCPD, then why would you be able to use smaller wire to tail off to a recepticle? Anyone know of a reference for this?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Is there any code reference that specifies what size the tails for a receptacle must be? I was always taught to keep the same size wire throughout the entire circuit based on the OCPD, including the tails to a receptacle. Both of my supervisors at work insist that it's to use a 14 gauge tail on an 20 amp circuit, since the distance is so short. However i don't agree and would like to find a reference if one exists so i can back my point, or be shown in wrong.

250.122 specifies the sizing for a bonding jumper, and if that says that you cant use anything other than 12 gauge on a 20 amp OCPD, then why would you be able to use smaller wire to tail off to a recepticle? Anyone know of a reference for this?

They maybe thinking of 240.5(B)(2) but it does not apply.

What you want is 240.4(D)(3) & (5).

Barndog

i would say no considering 14 awg is only allowed to be on a 15 amp breaker. you can go from 10's to 12's for voltage drop reasons. but 14's on a 20 amp i say NO!!!

Barndog

dont have a code book on hand but doesnt 440 deal with HVAC and it says disconnect has to be with insight. dont think that applys here could be totaly wrong

GlennG

Yup........

that is pretty blunt in what it says, no exceptions, not even for a small piece of wire tailing to a receptacle. I guess its just one of those things that people think is ok to do for whatever reason, meanwhile its not. I don't know how everyone else feels but im not comfortable doing that, as petty as it seems.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
that is pretty blunt in what it says, no exceptions, not even for a small piece of wire tailing to a receptacle. I guess its just one of those things that people think is ok to do for whatever reason, meanwhile its not. I don't know how everyone else feels but im not comfortable doing that, as petty as it seems.

Glen, a 14 awg conductor can be protected by a 100 ocpd in some instances

Barndog

yes it seems petty but where do you draw the line if you allow pigtails then next they will say if its the last load in the line its fine. and then we start to have problems.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
i would say no considering 14 awg is only allowed to be on a 15 amp breaker. you can go from 10's to 12's for voltage drop reasons. but 14's on a 20 amp i say NO!!!

dont have a code book on hand but doesnt 440 deal with HVAC and it says disconnect has to be with insight. dont think that applys here could be totaly wrong

What does that have to do with a receptacle?

Nothing. I was addressing a 14 awg being limited to 15 amps.

Tarbaby

Could your supervisor confusing it with the use of 15ampere receptacles on a 20 amp circuit. Figuring you can use a 15 amp outlet #14 will work.

Instead of proving him wrong ask him to explain how he determined that.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Could your supervisor confusing it with the use of 15ampere receptacles on a 20 amp circuit. Figuring you can use a 15 amp outlet #14 will work.

Instead of proving him wrong ask him to explain how he determined that.

210.19(A)(2) says no, you can not put 14 on a 20a ckt when referencing outlets/wire

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.