the honey-do list. . . . *sigh* . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
so the wife wants a few art prints in backlit frames hung around the house (don't ask why. . .i don't know why). i was in zone-out mode when she asked if its possible, and uttered "sure".

so now i need ideas on very thin lighting that can be installed in a box frame.

i was thinking about using those LED's on a roll, but i'm not sure if that will be bright enough. i'd like to keep the interior depth at 1.5" max if possible.

best idea is more than welcome to come perform the install for me.

this will be a weekend job, and i'm not at peak working performance during that time.

i changed a light bulb in the bedroom a couple of saturdays ago and now there is a hole in my wall. i blame johnny walker.

so the wife wants a few art prints in backlit frames hung around the house (don't ask why. . .i don't know why). i was in zone-out mode when she asked if its possible, and uttered "sure".

so now i need ideas on very thin lighting that can be installed in a box frame.

i was thinking about using those LED's on a roll, but i'm not sure if that will be bright enough. i'd like to keep the interior depth at 1.5" max if possible.

best idea is more than welcome to come perform the install for me.

this will be a weekend job, and i'm not at peak working performance during that time.

i changed a light bulb in the bedroom a couple of saturdays ago and now there is a hole in my wall. i blame johnny walker.

A "backlit frame"?

Are these transparencies?

--
Try Jameson's Irish Whiskey next time :D

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
The led ribbon would work. The "trick" would be where to hide the transformer/driver. What kind of distance is there between each of the pictures?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The led ribbon would work. The "trick" would be where to hide the transformer/driver. What kind of distance is there between each of the pictures?

I'm sure there will be 1.5' or 2' between them.

Could I put the driver in the attic and fish cables down to each frame?

MikeyinLA said:
A "backlit frame"?

Are these transparencies?

wife found some high res files of what she wanted and printed it with an eco-solvent printer on semi translucent vinyl. I think the plan was to apply it to lexan and frame it.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Digital files?

Why not one of those electronic picture frames?

Since the dawn of digital cameras I have been using one. Of course the wife complains that she never sees the results. Hence a digital display for those pictures. Mixed among those smiley faces and gorgeous sunrises is ah well, no one has noticed that group of young women sitting at a bar over which hangs a sign that says "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service".:grin:

The LEDs are very bright. They now have some you can dim and warmer color than the first I used.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Would be easier and more sellable to install MR-16 art fixtures in the ceiling on a dimmer.

I'm against adding ceiling fixtures.

I don't like seeing fixtures and electrical devices, actually. I'm just weird.

The reason for not using digital frames is these pictures are large; i don't think they even make digital frames in this size. It would take $1k monitors for each one.

So what i've decided is to find a local carpentry shop to build me some custom frames, put these LED rolls in it and be done. Unless i can talk her out of it completely.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I haven't looked for them recently, but the orange store has (or had) a string of small bulbs inside a 3-sided channel, in various lengths, 1/2" x 1/2" if I remember correctly. I've used them successfully to light glass-door'ed kitchen cabinets.

Status
Not open for further replies.