Receptacle evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertex

It's interesting how 120V receptacles have evolved from a simple 2-wire ungrounded type to what we have now. What kind of reaction do you think one might get if he requested the following from his supplier?

120V, 20A, arc-fault circuit interrupter, ground fault circuit interrupter, tamper-resistant, weather-resistant, isolated ground, decorator style, duplex, hospital grade/fed. spec., light almond receptacle

Note: this request has been simplified by not specifying a manufacturer.

stevenje

It's interesting how 120V receptacles have evolved from a simple 2-wire ungrounded type to what we have now. What kind of reaction do you think one might get if he requested the following from his supplier?

120V, 20A, arc-fault circuit interrupter, ground fault circuit interrupter, tamper-resistant, weather-resistant, isolated ground, decorator style, duplex, hospital grade/fed. spec., light almond receptacle

Note: this request has been simplified by not specifying a manufacturer.

I'm sorry sir, it is not available in light almond. ;)

bphgravity

Supplier Reply:

"Sure, would you like it to have a built-in LED nightlight and Class 3 Surge Protection while your at it? If you order a case, we throw in a free raintight 6P enclosure and a weather-resistant in-use cover."

Your not suggesting the NEC is getting a little overboard are you?

Vertex

Supplier Reply:

"Sure, would you like it to have a built-in LED nightlight and Class 3 Surge Protection while your at it? If you order a case, we throw in a free raintight 6P enclosure and a weather-resistant in-use cover."

How could I forget the nightlight and surge protection. I must be getting old. Of course, you may have to sacrifice the duplex for a single to get that option.

Supplier Reply:

Your not suggesting the NEC is getting a little overboard are you?

It would be unfair to say the NEC is getting a little overboard. If you don't believe me, just ask the manufacturers who make the equipment.:grin:

480sparky

..........There's no market for such a device, and it would certainly be cost-prohibitive.

shush.gif
Some manufacturer might hear you, and next thing you know, they'll be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.