Lights flicker. A ghost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Your forgetting one major thing with that comment, POCO is a public utility they get to do what ever upgrades they want, then pass the cost off to the end user, it benefits them to do the upgrades and spend the money. Wish I could work that way.

Isn't it normal for a business to pass costs on to the customers, except for electrical contractors of course;)

Jim W in Tampa

Your forgetting one major thing with that comment, POCO is a public utility they get to do what ever upgrades they want, then pass the cost off to the end user, it benefits them to do the upgrades and spend the money. Wish I could work that way.

Yes but they still got to show why they spent it.
In my case i melted my drop till it broke. What did they do , replace with same undersized wire. Give it time and I will melt it again. Maybe you have a better poco. I got to see first hand how much time they waste doing nothing. I worked for about a month at the Clearwater plant. If they do 4 hours a day its pushing it.

lakee911

I am still having problems with my service as they simply do not provide the 200 amps that i sometimes need for a few short hours every week.

Yes but they still got to show why they spent it.
In my case i melted my drop till it broke. What did they do , replace with same undersized wire. Give it time and I will melt it again.

How'd it melt if they can't deliver? :D

Seriously, though, what do you need 200A for?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector

Seriously, though, what do you need 200A for?[/QUOTE]

Jim's a party animal, I think it was the popcorn maker, hot tub, AC units, lighting on the dance floor, etc. He posted pictures of the tri-plex and it was pretty melted.

Jim W in Tampa

Seriously, though, what do you need 200A for?[/QUOTE]

Jim's a party animal, I think it was the popcorn maker, hot tub, AC units, lighting on the dance floor, etc. He posted pictures of the tri-plex and it was pretty melted.

Yep i can melt wires. Have resolved a few issues. Insulated 1 of the rooms so using a little less AC and making sure hot tub is up to 100 before party started. Mostly we crank the AC down early cause when people start coming in you add body heat fast.The 200 amp breaker has not triped since last repair. Winter is easy as main heater is now propayne. Next step is water heater and hot tub to switch to propayne. We really don't care about the cost, most parties we spend over $200

growler

A month ago a squirrell got fried on top of our transformer which in turn kicked the jack that held the fuse. The jack was refused but the squirrel never removed.

I find this very strange because I have been involved in a number of squirrel problems and the critter in question was always removed before new fuses were installed.

You may be right and this may not be the problem but it doesn't sound like a good operateing procedure for the power company.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I find this very strange because I have been involved in a number of squirrel problems and the critter in question was always removed before new fuses were installed.

You may be right and this may not be the problem but it doesn't sound like a good operateing procedure for the power company.

I'll bet he would get them out pronto if he called them and told them he was fixin' to go out and blast the squirrel down with his new power washer.

:roll:

e57

Do they get 'brighter' or dimmer with loads applied to opposite leg???? Does the leg to leg voltage stay the same? If so - you have the makins of a "High/Low Voltage Event" - tell 'em to drag out a Flir camera before they buy you a $20,000 stereo system, or that grannies life support system is acting up... They'll be screeching to a halt out front by the time you're off the phone....

aftershock

Do they get 'brighter' or dimmer with loads applied to opposite leg???? Does the leg to leg voltage stay the same? If so - you have the makins of a "High/Low Voltage Event" - tell 'em to drag out a Flir camera before they buy you a $20,000 stereo system, or that grannies life support system is acting up... They'll be screeching to a halt out front by the time you're off the phone....

The lights just flicker as if you are turning on/off the switch real fast.

Update:
I checked the connections again in my panel. The buss looks fine , I even checked all neutral connections on the bar.
I cant re-create this problem, it just happens. I tried turning on every light, and running everything I could.
This issue happens mainly if not always in the late evening/night. and even then it is random.
The lights will flicker fast enough to cause a strobe effect.

Now I got a question. If I take readings on the line side of the meter can and it shows the voltage from leg to neutral to fluctuate does that mean the problem is upstream or can it still be a problem downstream causing this? A loose neutral connection in my panel should not cause lets say a 109/v leg to neutral / 137/v leg to neutral reading upstream from the loose connection?

kwired

Electron manager
The lights just flicker as if you are turning on/off the switch real fast.

Update:
I checked the connections again in my panel. The buss looks fine , I even checked all neutral connections on the bar.
I cant re-create this problem, it just happens. I tried turning on every light, and running everything I could.
This issue happens mainly if not always in the late evening/night. and even then it is random.
The lights will flicker fast enough to cause a strobe effect.

Now I got a question. If I take readings on the line side of the meter can and it shows the voltage from leg to neutral to fluctuate does that mean the problem is upstream or can it still be a problem downstream causing this? A loose neutral connection in my panel should not cause lets say a 109/v leg to neutral / 137/v leg to neutral reading upstream from the loose connection?

Problem would likely be upstream, you would also need to check current at same time as voltage fluctuation to make sure you do not have a sudden heavy load causing a normal voltage drop for the amount of load.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
What you describe sounds like a POCO neutral issue, or a transformer winding going bad.

jmd445

I've had the same issue you have for 20+ years. The POCO, PSEG, pulled the meter and plugged a load bank on the meter can. The load bank loaded L1-N, L2-N and L1-L2. No problems found.

It appears that My lights flicker when my neighbors pool pump, window A/C's, my A/C, my dehumidifier, his dryer, etc. I finally gave up trying to do anything about it.

Jim W in Tampa

If your on line side of meter and ever see 137 or close to this from neutral to a hot leg then I would say without question the POCO has neutral issue as nothing on your end could cause this. And I would highly suggest you get that fixed 911 because its only a matter of time before serious problems arrive. Your not screaming loud enough to get there attention
The way i handle lost neutrals is start as close to the poco side that i can. Without cutting seal on meter that will likely be the line side of main breaker. Or if overhead try to get reading at the weather head. If you wate too long it will be far higher than 137 and damage is on its way.

Status
Not open for further replies.