XLPE USE-2 on an interior runway

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob4ara

Attaching an interior mounted 200 service disconnect to main to an interior mounted transfer switch in conduit. I have truckloads of 4/0 XLPE (Cross-Linked Polyethylene) and, if possible, I'd like to run it in the interior mounted conduit. It is NOT marked as RHW-2 and, consequently, I am assuming that it lacks requisite flame retardant and cannot be used in conduit inside buildings under the 2008 NEC. Just double checking. I want to do this job right. Any help greatly appreciated!!!!!:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I suppose I should read the post title in its entirety.

So it's marked USE-2 and not RHW-2. Is it marked anything in addition to USE-2?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would also check for other markings but if it has no other then I agree it cannot be used inside as it is probably lacking the vertical flame rating.

338.12(B) states that USE cannot be used for interior wiring, however, I am not sure abut USE-2-- there is no mention of it.

XLPE is not a listed wiring for the NEC but the OP wrote USE-2???

Smart $

Esteemed Member

338.12(B) states that USE cannot be used for interior wiring, however, I am not sure abut USE-2-- there is no mention of it.

The "-2" signifies the conductors are suitable for dry or wet applications at temperatures up to 90?C (as opposed to 75?C for the not so appended). It does not change the cable type.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The "-2" signifies the conductors are suitable for dry or wet applications at temperatures up to 90?C (as opposed to 75?C for the not so appended). It does not change the cable type.

I know it changes from dry to wet but doesn't that in essence change the cable type? Most dry locations are indoors.

kwired

Electron manager
Table 310.13 lists USE-2 for use in wet or dry locations.

If it can't be used indoors why does it say dry locations? All locations where USE cables are intended for are damp or wet.

I have always understood USE cable is not for indoor applications unless it is also marked with RHW or RHH. USE-2 can use 90 degree ampacity for insulation termerature ampacity adjustments.

OP did not state if he had aluminum or copper conductors.

If aluminum 310.14 states basically all the types allowed to be used indoors and states that they will use an AA-8000 series alloy. Note that USE and USE-2 are not listed here.

rob4ara

The exact markings are as follows: "Alcan SM 4/0 AWG AL XLPE 600 volts USE-2 sun res (ul)" I think I answered my own question--can't use it. Anyway, I'd like to hear others thoughts. Thank you!!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The exact markings are as follows: "Alcan SM 4/0 AWG AL XLPE 600 volts USE-2 sun res (ul)" I think I answered my own question--can't use it. Anyway, I'd like to hear others thoughts. Thank you!!
I would say no can do but what do I know. Most dual rated USE I have seen has RHW on it.

rob4ara

The more I think about it doesn't USE-2 imply the fire rating?

I went to the manufacturer's web site, which states:

-Meets or exceeds ICEA S-105-692, ASTM B-231 and B-901
-Designed for use in circuits carrying 600 volts or less
-Useful in duct or direct-burial applications in wet or dry environments
-90?C maximum conductor temperature under normal conditions, 130?C for emergency overload, 250?C for short circuit conditions

Does this lend any clarity to the discussion?

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
All other conductor types that have a "-2" are same as what is ahead of the "-2" except that they are allowed to use 90 degree ampacity values for ampacity adjustments.

dcooper

what is the intended use for the wire? i had an inspector fail me for usig a urd type wire because it never went underground. and the intedend use of urd wire is to be underground (at some point in the run).... so my question is what is the intended use for xlpe type 7?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
what is the intended use for the wire? i had an inspector fail me for usig a urd type wire because it never went underground. and the intedend use of urd wire is to be underground (at some point in the run).... so my question is what is the intended use for xlpe type 7?
First off, URD (Underground Residential Distribution) and XLPE wire/cable types are not recognized by the NEC under these designations. They have to have some other designation (marking) that is recognized before you can use them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Cooper, that would be like saying URD is not allowed in a raceway because it is direct burial. I think the inspector is wrong unless it enters a building.

dcooper

im not arguing my inspectors point....and i am not trying to change the direction of this thread....I am just trying to look at it from a different side... What is the intended use for XLPE type cable?
The inspector who will not allow a TriPlex Urd cable to be used when going from a meter socket to a wheather head (above ground), claims the triplex urd cables intent was to be underground...so at some point that pipe run must be in the ground......... i don't agree..... but I also dont use the cable in his juristicion. I like to choose my battles

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The intended use is for direct burial but does that mean it is the only place it can be installed. The NEC does not recognize XLPE cable so technically it would not be allowed by the NEC. If the cable was USE or USE-2 that was dual rated then it can be used above or below ground. I bet XLPE is not rated for a mast as it isn't sunlight resistance.

kwired

Electron manager
im not arguing my inspectors point....and i am not trying to change the direction of this thread....I am just trying to look at it from a different side... What is the intended use for XLPE type cable?
The inspector who will not allow a TriPlex Urd cable to be used when going from a meter socket to a wheather head (above ground), claims the triplex urd cables intent was to be underground...so at some point that pipe run must be in the ground......... i don't agree..... but I also dont use the cable in his juristicion. I like to choose my battles

That same cable probably also has individual conductor markings. If it is USE only and no RHW or RHH in addition it can not be used inside of buildings.

338.12 (B)(2) would also prohibit conductors with only the USE rating to be used outdoors if they do not emerge from the ground.

That inspector was right if the conductor went from a meter to a weatherhead and did not have multiple ratings (RHW, RHH), unless it went underground to get there.

XLPE is not a conductor type listed in 310.13. There are types in 310.13 that use XLPE in their composition.

Status
Not open for further replies.