Battery Unit Charging Station for Green Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabawire

Background:

A meter socket is being installed on a unistrut metal frame (In a public Right of Way) to monitor the power flow to a battery unit charging station equipment. The voltage being provided to the battery charging equipment station is 120/240 volt three wire service.

The battery charging unit equipment will be mounted on the unistrut metal frame as well. It appears that according to the existing rules of the NEC a service equipment disconnect means has to be provided as per NEC Article 230.70. In addition, the main disconnect has to be grounded as well at this location as per 250.24 (A) and the unistrut metal frame can not be utilized as the grounding conductor means.

Am I interpreting the Current version of the NEC appropriately? Please advise and thank you for your advise

ceb58

Background:

A meter socket is being installed on a unistrut metal frame (In a public Right of Way) to monitor the power flow to a battery unit charging station equipment. The voltage being provided to the battery charging equipment station is 120/240 volt three wire service.

The battery charging unit equipment will be mounted on the unistrut metal frame as well. It appears that according to the existing rules of the NEC a service equipment disconnect means has to be provided as per NEC Article 230.70. In addition, the main disconnect has to be grounded as well at this location as per 250.24 (A) and the unistrut metal frame can not be utilized as the grounding conductor means.

Am I interpreting the Current version of the NEC appropriately? Please advise and thank you for your advise

You have a good handle on it. The uni-strut frame will need to be bonded.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Background:

Is this a secondary meter, as in fed from an already metered source? I would use a standard meter main combo panel. If it is a secondary meter you will need to add an isolated neutral kit to it. I believe you will need a 120/240 4wire run to it (2 phase conductors, 1 neutral, 1 ground.)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree, you have a good handle on it.
There is a slight possibility that the battery charging station is "service rated" allowing you to eliminate the service disconnect.

zabawire

Is this a secondary meter, as in fed from an already metered source? I would use a standard meter main combo panel. If it is a secondary meter you will need to add an isolated neutral kit to it. I believe you will need a 120/240 4wire run to it (2 phase conductors, 1 neutral, 1 ground.)

No resale of power allowed here. No it is not a secondary meter. It is the primary and only meter on the uni-strut metal frame located on the public right of way. It will be part of the future along to what we know now as a "Gasoline Station". All of the electrical components of the installation, including the meter, is to be on the uni-strut metal frame. Here is where it gets confusing to me; that is, the meter is being feed by the electrical underground cables from the utility's transformer. From the load side of the meter, conductors are being brought out to feed a main disconnect where a grounding conductors will be installed to the ground rod next to the uni-strut metal frame. At the disconnect (bonded to the uni-strut metal frame), conductors will be routed to the battery charging equipment. It is my understanding that a service over-current protective device must be also an integral part of the service disconnecting means, or be located immediately adjacent to it, as per NEC 230.91. What are you thoughts? Am I applying the NEC appropriately to this type of electrical installation? All of your feedback will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I would use a meter main combo unit, under ground/overhead units are avalible. That way you are installing one component not two or three. The only question would be do you need a test bypass meter socket? Or could you get away with a residential style panel, we can get those at the big box for about $68.00.

ceb58

I will ask what is the amp rating you need for this charging unit? If you only need a 100amp service then set a 100amp rated meter base and nipple to a 100amp rated 6 circ. panel. Install your beaker to feed the charger. You will not need a main as long as you do not go over the six throw rule.230.71 A.
If it is over 100amps then do as suggested install a 200amp meter/combo. It has the main built in and all you need is to add the branch circ. OCP.

Also you may need to be prepared to drive two G. rods.

Cavie

It's gonna be interesting to see how the new Charging Stations and the POCO work out a deal for charging the new electric cars about to hit the market. POCO gonna build, maintain and charge for the electricty??? NOT! Private meters and private charges have to happen. They will be at every motel in the country. Large company will have them in the parking lots. Parking garages etc,etc. A whole lot of regulations are about to change.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It's gonna be interesting to see how the new Charging Stations and the POCO work out a deal for charging the new electric cars about to hit the market. POCO gonna build, maintain and charge for the electricty??? NOT! Private meters and private charges have to happen. They will be at every motel in the country. Large company will have them in the parking lots. Parking garages etc,etc. A whole lot of regulations are about to change.

There is also an issue if level III chargers are used, these are 50-60 KW three phase units, Will the POCO upgrade their transformers for this temporary extra load? Or will they just hope that the chargers will not be used that much, and the transformer will absorb this extra load.

zabawire

It is a transition point. There still a lot of details to be worked out. I thank everyone of you for the feedback on this subject matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.