motion detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd4524

They definantly make motion sensors that don't need a neutral. I don't know what brand it is. Leviton? I know that the model we use from supply house and Home Depot are both different. One needs a neutral and one doesn't.

mtfallsmikey

Don't want to hijack, but didn't want to start another thread either...
Is the life expectancy of CFL's any less w/motion dectectors, since they will be switched on/off more often?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don't want to hijack, but didn't want to start another thread either...
Is the life expectancy of CFL's any less w/motion dectectors, since they will be switched on/off more often?

I have had trouble with CFL's and motion sensors. I would not use them but I have no experience with occupancy sensors.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I have had trouble with CFL's and motion sensors. I would not use them but I have no experience with occupancy sensors.
The common low cost occupancy sensor has the same limitation as the low cost motion sensor. The silicon controlled switch of the common "old style" motion or occupancy sensor requires a resistive load. CFLs, motors, ballasts, electronic ballasts, electronic transformers and transformers are not simple resistive load.

"Better" motion and/or occupancy sensors must include compatibility in the published manufacturer's specifications for the specific non-resistive load, for the sensor to work reliably with that load.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Can motion detector, occupent sensors that are mounted in switch boxes work on just the switch leg ?
No, they need a neutral (grounded).
Plain old two wire switch loop occupancy sensors are still sold.

Consider the Leviton PR 150 or the PR 180

LevitonPR150OccSensor.jpg

LevitonPR150OccSensorwiringdiagram.jpg

charlietuna

The P&S motion sensor i recently installed came with a ground and "line" and "load" wires. I installed one in my garage and it has a set "on" time period of five minutes. Well it worked great for about a month, then i noticed a few times during the night that the lights were on??? Then it became that they were "ON" more than they were "OFF" !! So it's going back to the supply house. It might be possible the outside temps caused it to fail???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The problem is with the new 2011 code those sensor will not be allowed anymore. All the old devices use the ground wire as a ccc but they are being phased out with the newer models that use the neutral.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
The P&S motion sensor i recently installed came with a ground and "line" and "load" wires. I installed one in my garage and it has a set "on" time period of five minutes. Well it worked great for about a month, then i noticed a few times during the night that the lights were on??? Then it became that they were "ON" more than they were "OFF" !! So it's going back to the supply house. It might be possible the outside temps caused it to fail???

The problem is with the new 2011 code those sensor will not be allowed anymore.
The Code caused Charlie's sensor to malfunction?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
It might be possible the outside temps caused it to fail???
Charlie,

Is that sensor turning CFLs or electronic ballasted fluorescents on and off? Does the mfg specs for the sensor say it can switch those electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.