Cost Estimates

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcengineer

We are trying to establish a budget for a project in a resort community. The project is just over 100k SF and it consists of 60% timeshare (high end) residential units and 40% of common amenity areas. The common areas do not include pool, spa, etc. for this phase.

The construction is steel frame w/ MC and limited pipe work. Aluminum feeders are acceptable.

Now, I know it's impossible to pin-point the pricing w/o much more detail, but anyone want to take a stab at cost per square for electrical for a mixed use resi / commercial project in the mtns. of Colorado?

Thx

macmikeman

We are trying to establish a budget for a project in a resort community. The project is just over 100k SF and it consists of 60% timeshare (high end) residential units and 40% of common amenity areas. The common areas do not include pool, spa, etc. for this phase.

The construction is steel frame w/ MC and limited pipe work. Aluminum feeders are acceptable.

Now, I know it's impossible to pin-point the pricing w/o much more detail, but anyone want to take a stab at cost per square for electrical for a mixed use resi / commercial project in the mtns. of Colorado?

Thx

This method will work best if you put some random percentages onto paper slips in a jar. Put a blindfold on and reach in and pull out one. Thats your sq ft bid number. Works for all mountain areas.

cdcengineer

No real takers? C'mon folks, it'll be fun. There's absolutely no risk. $15, $17, $18, $20 per square???

I'm taking $18/SF

cadpoint

OK, I’ll play!

Let’s say 100K/sq with an average of 1000 ft/sq foot print per unit that makes one hundred units.

Your one unit of 1000ft/sq x 18sq = 18000 per unit or 1.8M total job for one hundred units.

Now what I’ve heard about these big job it usually 10% of the Job, but usually 7 to 10% of the job.

Remember that's a mean square footage, no custom and no emergency service!

So what is the million dollar job value, sounds like it is not known and a lot bigger than you do know?

Last edited:

sparky=t

vail, edwards, breck, these are all high cost areas, does your estimate including utility co fees?, fire alarm, or standby power systems?

cdslotz

No real takers? C'mon folks, it'll be fun. There's absolutely no risk. $15, $17, $18, $20 per square???

I'm taking $18/SF

I was going to wait until I got into the office to answer this, but I was thinking $17 to $20 is going to be in the ballpark.
In the mountains would be a big factor.
I would go with that to get you to the next round.
Then, when you have some scope to work with, you can keep your foot in the door by pointing out where the money is when the consultant's design is $27.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Not a clue. I haven't played in that arena. I'll watch & learn from some of you who have.

fridaymean

Since it is a guess, I would guess 78.47 / Sq Ft .....but, that does not include anything. If you want something included, you need a scope, plans, some sorta idea what is IN this building other than the square feet....

cdslotz

Since it is a guess, I would guess 78.47 / Sq Ft .....but, that does not include anything. If you want something included, you need a scope, plans, some sorta idea what is IN this building other than the square feet....

Well no you don't.
If a GC or owner comes to me for a budget, they have confidence in my experience of similar projects. And guess what? I just increased my chances of getting that job by about 50%.
So if plan/spec hard bid is what you are comfortable with, that's cool.
Plan/spec jobs that have a well designed scope go for bottom dollar. He who leaves the most out..."wins"

blingbling4r

If you guys are in a schematic/design development phase of the project I would definitely use RSMeans or some other costing book.

RSMeans has this CostWorksMeans.com site that we use when putting together budgetary information for owners. Basically you plug in building parameters and it will shoot out a cost. They price it as if you are the GC submitting to the owner however they break out the electrical and the subsystems with a rough listing of components.

You can also set the pricing to your local region and labor market (union/open shop)

It's basically just throwing your thumb in the air but in early stages of construction it is helpful in the case you don't have historical information.

fridaymean

Well no you don't.
If a GC or owner comes to me for a budget, they have confidence in my experience of similar projects. And guess what? I just increased my chances of getting that job by about 50%.
So if plan/spec hard bid is what you are comfortable with, that's cool.
Plan/spec jobs that have a well designed scope go for bottom dollar. He who leaves the most out..."wins"

I somewhat agree. Typically when I bid a project with no E plans, I still get a set of A plans, and an electrical scope to design from. Otherwise, the theory of, "who ever leaves the most out....STILL wins."

Last edited:
How many units do you have and how many square feet are each? what is the finish high end, middle class or just enough to get the sale? the only other thing would be fixtures they would be a wild card depending on if you need to give a hard fixture number or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.