Derating

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireperson

I need to relocate an electric dryer ckt to the kitchen , everything is run in EMT, the electric stove is run in a 1" EMT over head (2 hots 1 neutral #8 )ending on a deep 1900 box , I was thinking in using the same conduit to run my 3# 10 for the dryer + ground passing through the 1900 box then from there to the dryer outlet, my concern is the derating of the wires and box fill on the 1900 box , anything on the NEC that doesn't let me do this? ideas?

quinn77

first id start with ampacity.table 310.15(B)(2)(a) dictates an adjustment factor of 80% of conductor rating. what kind of insulation is present?
if the ampacity is sufficient for nameplate load...move on to box and conduit fill calc.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Depending on the OCPD on the #8's derating might be an issue since you have 4 CCC's. With a 1" EMT conduit fill shouldn't be an issue. The box fill looks good too.

wireperson

ok , here it is again .
conduit #1 emt , 2 # 6 tw + 1 #8 neutral tw . feeding an outlet for an electric stove (11.5 kw) ,on a 40A federal pacific OCPD .
want to :
pull 2 hots #10 thhn +neutral #10 thhn + #10 ground on a 30A OCDP f or an electric dryer (2160 W)

the stove outlet box uses a deep 1900 box. I'm planing on passing through this outlet box to go to the new dryer outlet.

I hope it's more clear now . . . thanks in advance

ceb58

Should not be an issue. The #6 is rated for 75amp 90deg colm
The #10 rated at 40amp
You will be in the 4-6 ccc range so 80%
75amp*.80= 60amp your on a 40amp OCD
40amp * .80= 32amp on a 30amp OCP

40A federal pacific OCPD .

I would be more concerned with it being a FP. Probably wouldn't trip with a 100amp load on it.

jumper

Should not be an issue. The #6 is rated for 75amp 90deg colm
The #10 rated at 40amp
You will be in the 4-6 ccc range so 80%
75amp*.80= 60amp your on a 40amp OCD
40amp * .80= 32amp on a 30amp OCP

I would be more concerned with it being a FP. Probably wouldn't trip with a 100amp load on it.

Isn"t #6 TW 55 amps? Assuming CU.

AL is 40 amps.

Jim W in Tampa

assuming thhn your fine but as already mentioned you used a very filthy word FEDERAL PACIFIC not sure about everyone but i am not hungry enough to install anything on a FPE just too much liability

Status
Not open for further replies.