extention cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Here is what I found on a recent inspection. Sorry for the poor picture quality I took this with my phone in a dark mechanical room

Yep, that is a cheap 16 awg extension cord that has been cut up into pieces to wire up multiple circulating pumps for a boiler system.

Chris

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is it unsafe in some way?

It's not that unusual of a way of hooking such things up, although I can't recall seeing someone hack up an extension cord to do it before.

raider1

Staff member
Is it unsafe in some way?

It's not that unusual of a way of hooking such things up, although I can't recall seeing someone hack up an extension cord to do it before.

IMHO this installation is a violation of 400.8(1) as the pumps are fixed in place and the controller is also fixed in place and the cord is hard wired between the two.

Chris

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMHO this installation is a violation of 400.8(1) as the pumps are fixed in place and the controller is also fixed in place and the cord is hard wired between the two.

Chris

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

I am more inclined to think it does not fit the uses permitted in 400.7, although (7) and (8) come pretty close. I would not call the wiring between the pump panel and the pump to be the fixed wiring of a structure. It does not seem to be associated with the structure in any way at all.

But I go back to - Is it unsafe? I do realize that safety is not the main issue here. It's that it may not meet all the code requirements. IMO, it could be argued that it meets one of the criteria in 400.7 and it is not inherently unsafe, so I would be inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
I am more inclined to think it does not fit the uses permitted in 400.7, although (7) and (8) come pretty close. I would not call the wiring between the pump panel and the pump to be the fixed wiring of a structure. It does not seem to be associated with the structure in any way at all.

But I go back to - Is it unsafe? I do realize that safety is not the main issue here. It's that it may not meet all the code requirements. IMO, it could be argued that it meets one of the criteria in 400.7 and it is not inherently unsafe, so I would be inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt.

400.7(A)(7) IMHO is a stretch. What vibration or noise are we trying to prevent?

400.7(A)(8) requires that the cord be equipped with an attachment plug, these were hard wired pumps.

The safety issue with flexible cord is that it deteriorates over time and falls off. When a pump is hard wired it becomes harder to replace then cord.

Chris

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
400.7(A)(7) IMHO is a stretch. What vibration or noise are we trying to prevent?

400.7(A)(8) requires that the cord be equipped with an attachment plug, these were hard wired pumps.

The safety issue with flexible cord is that it deteriorates over time and falls off. When a pump is hard wired it becomes harder to replace then cord.

Chris

I am not stating it meets code, only that it could charitably be considered to do so and since it is not a safety hazard I'd be inclined to give the installation the benefit of the doubt.

I have seen this kind of thing before. It just does not bother me. There are real problems out there to worry about that are actually safety issues.

I can't say I have ever seen cord like this deteriorate to the point it is a safety problem. I have seen a lot of flex conduit that has come undone at the fittings and is an actual hazard. I'd take the cord over flex most of the time. It's a safer installation IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.