Receptacles Every 12 ft in Commercial Bldg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maghazadeh

Hello,
For many years one of the cities in Bay Area, CA. required to install Receptacle outlets every 12 ft or less in Commercial bldgs. just like residential bldgs. By a amendment to NEC.
Now they Claim that they do not have the amendment anymore, because the new adopted code requires the 12 ft role. I don't know if they mean NEC or Clifornia Electrical Code.
I don't have a 2008 or 2011 NEC book handy and wondering If someone knows, True or False? Thank you in advance for your reply.
Max

pete m.

barring any local rules perhaps 210.62 is what they are referring to.

210.62 Show Windows.At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed within 450 mm (18 in.) of the top of a show window for each 3.7 linear m (12 linear ft) or major fraction thereof of show window area measured horizontally at its maximum width.

From the 2008 NEC.

Pete

Jim W in Tampa

Hello,
For many years one of the cities in Bay Area, CA. required to install Receptacle outlets every 12 ft or less in Commercial bldgs. just like residential bldgs. By a amendment to NEC.
Now they Claim that they do not have the amendment anymore, because the new adopted code requires the 12 ft role. I don't know if they mean NEC or Clifornia Electrical Code.
I don't have a 2008 or 2011 NEC book handy and wondering If someone knows, True or False? Thank you in advance for your reply.
Max

That is crazy but its not NEC so see what other local codes might apply

maghazadeh

barring any local rules perhaps 210.62 is what they are referring to.

210.62 Show Windows.At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed within 450 mm (18 in.) of the top of a show window for each 3.7 linear m (12 linear ft) or major fraction thereof of show window area measured horizontally at its maximum width.

From the 2008 NEC.

Pete

THanks Pete for your reply, but no, they don't mean that for show window. We usually don't call for a general use receptacles in a commercial bldg. except maybe in small office hall way. I sometimes run in to situations where many outlets on dedicated circuits gone behind Cubicals without being used. I think if 12 ft role added to code would be nonsense.

pete m.

THanks Pete for your reply, but no, they don't mean that for show window.

Thats the only "12 foot" rule that I know of in the NEC for a non-dwelling application... so I suppose I am as confused as you because I don't know what change was made in the NEC.

Pete

"I'm holding a card...can you guess what it is?"

I object to code officials who will not provide a citation to the code and requirement they are citing...

A polite request for the code and article number will put this back on the official...if he can't quote the specific code you may have to consider going upstairs...In NJ the DCA has code interpreters that will not only respond to questions like these but help you deal with a disagreeable official if need be.

I would hope that there is some similar agency in CA.

Good luck.

HFC PE

cowboyjwc

Staff member
"I'm holding a card...can you guess what it is?"

I object to code officials who will not provide a citation to the code and requirement they are citing...

A polite request for the code and article number will put this back on the official...if he can't quote the specific code you may have to consider going upstairs...In NJ the DCA has code interpreters that will not only respond to questions like these but help you deal with a disagreeable official if need be.

I would hope that there is some similar agency in CA.

Good luck.

HFC PE

Meant to answer the other part too. No real such agency. You could call the building commission, but we find that they usually don't know what they are talking about either.

iwire

Staff member
I am sitting here wondering how many receptacles we would have to put in a Lowe's.

Mixed181.jpg

How many of these never to be used receptacles can I put on one circuit? :confused:

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
May be I should make correction here. I meant office type Commercial bldg.
not any Commercial bldg.
Neither the 2011 NEC or 2010 CEC have wall receptacles spacing requirements for commercial spaces. I would ask them to show you the requirement.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

A polite request for the code and article number will put this back on the official...if he can't quote the specific code you may have to consider going upstairs...
Absolutely. How can they enforce a code they can't cite?

Yes, I can. It may take me 52 guesses.....:grin:
I can do it in 51. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.