securing M/C cable with tie wraps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
330.30 Securing and Supporting.
(A) General. Type MC cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings or other approved means designed and installed so as not to damage the cable.

stevebea

They are not the best choice and after many years in a hot wearhouse you might have problems when they get brittle.

The cheap ones our company buys are brittle right out of the bag. Between the wasted labor and wasted cable ties they are spending a dime to save a penny. Sorry, the mention of brittle cable ties just set me off after going through 3 bags last week!:mad:

Jim W in Tampa

The cheap ones our company buys are brittle right out of the bag. Between the wasted labor and wasted cable ties they are spending a dime to save a penny. Sorry, the mention of brittle cable ties just set me off after going through 3 bags last week!:mad:

You get what you pay for.
They do look nice if trimed
cheaper and better way is tie wire, but that is up to your boss

stevebea

You get what you pay for.
They do look nice if trimed
cheaper and better way is tie wire, but that is up to your boss

Or I could get a PO for a proposal job and and get some good T&B cable ties at the supply house and put them on my van for truck stock and the boss would be none the wiser.:grin:

Jim W in Tampa

Or I could get a PO for a proposal job and and get some good T&B cable ties at the supply house and put them on my van for truck stock and the boss would be none the wiser.:grin:

That could get you fired. Once worked for a company doing high end homes. We were sent a package for each and every house. At end of job every bit of material was sent back to the shop and I do mean everything. We were not allowed so much as a wire nut or romex connector to keep for the next one. That kept the true cost to exact numbers

peter d

Demoing MC/AC cable that's been installed with cable ties is really fun, especially if they are old and cheap. Just yank on the cable and you can pull out a whole lot of cable in no time flat. :cool:

Jim W in Tampa

Demoing MC/AC cable that's been installed with cable ties is really fun, especially if they are old and cheap. Just yank on the cable and you can pull out a whole lot of cable in no time flat. :cool:

That is the problem to them. One accidental grab and we might find a hundred foot run laying on the floor or dangling in reach.

Jim W in Tampa

You're a trip Jim. Everything is always negative with you. :roll:

I don't sugar coat anything. I deal with the real facts. I tell it how it is and the negatives. If you want lies about a product being great just go to there web site

Would you run MC for a long run on bottom of a truss with plastic tie wraps ? Yes you can but be prepaired for problems when it ages in a hot Fl warehouse. It will last the year of warranty but your name goes with it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't sugar coat anything. I deal with the real facts. I tell it how it is and the negatives. If you want lies about a product being great just go to there web site

Would you run MC for a long run on bottom of a truss with plastic tie wraps ? Yes you can but be prepaired for problems when it ages in a hot Fl warehouse. It will last the year of warranty but your name goes with it.

Man this is getting to be a habit, but I agree with Jim. Fast, cheap, easy and clean, but will not last. I don't use them on anything that I want to stay for any length of time.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I use them to attach metal flex cables for circulator pumps to the forced hot water pipes they control. As long as they're rated for the proper temperature. Last time I checked the bag they were rated for 90 degrees Celsius.

paul

Nope, I would use the following. Faster and cheaper. If someone were going to use ty-wraps, they would most likely run the MC on the top side of the bottom of the truss. Else you would have droops in your run.

1415.jpg

Jim W in Tampa

Nope, I would use the following. Faster and cheaper. If someone were going to use ty-wraps, they would most likely run the MC on the top side of the bottom of the truss. Else you would have droops in your run.

1415.jpg

Ones that care about looks and quality run on top. And if on top no serious problems if plastic ties break. Your clips likely cost far more than a few cents each.
Its about total cost and that is speed of labor ,rate of labor and material.

Caddy makes plenty of great stuff but not priced cheap.

Yes nice looking clip. Price ?

stevebea

1415.jpg

Used them in the past and loved them. You can get the clips for purlins, bar joists and columns.

Status
Not open for further replies.