Had a first today....

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Doing a small rewire and I stepped through a ceiling from the attic. I didn't go all the way through but I almost did. I was able to catch myself at the last second before I went through completely and fell down the floor below, but the impact of hitting against one of the joists really hurt. :roll:

The upside? The house is a nasty dump (foreclosure) that's being rehabbed on the cheap for a rental property. In other words, I think the ceiling looks a lot better now with a big hole in it. :D

I hope I never do that again. :roll:

Oakey

Welcome to the step thru club, got only one to my credit thankfully. I think pride takes a hit along with ones shins.

nhfire77

I Had a foot go through a ceiling tile in a wood framed used car shop. It was in a office. The owner was overly involved in the whole project. I immediately fessed up. He was so mad, he was screaming. It was one of those tiles you can't just cut and replace. I (being the supervisor) offered to have us back charged to have the grid guys come out and replace it. He kept screaming "that's not good enough!!!!". I just up and left. They didn't stay open a year. None of us that worked on the contructoon wondered why.

I am still paranoid about tiles.

GUNNING

Who needs Pilates

Who needs Pilates

I never understood the screaming thing. It really doesn't help at all and just adds to the confusion. Once I realize its not going to stop I smile and keep on going waiting on rational instructions. Generally they never come and they go away.

Haven't stepped trough any yet, have cracked one or two. I'm a big guy for those tiny 2x4 trusses. I told somebody today I'm "flexible."

ceb58

I was doing the service on a new modular home and the second story bonus room was being completed by the set up company. Went to finish up and the HO (a single mom) was outside upset as hell. I ask her what happened an she told me to go look in the master bed room. One of the carpenters working up stairs had fallen through the ceiling taking out the fan/light.

bradleyelectric

Did it once in my younger days at a friends house that was a total rehab. They liked the hole and moved the attic access to the new location. Had an employee step through a tiled ceiling a couple years ago.

480sparky

Peter!

Welcome to the One-Step Club!!!

Ceiling_Head.jpg

sd4524

I was working on some switches once and an apprentice fell through in the same room. His groin/ butt stopped him from going all the way through.
My reaction:
1. Totally surprised
2. made sure he was ok
3. Made sure nothing was seriously damaged except ceiling
4. roll around on the floor laughing for 5 minutes

Like a year later 2 different employees were working in the same house and one of the guys fell through too! I guess we are not used to being able to walk in attics out here!

Martinelli

I was in an attic working when I hear the home onwer coming up my ladder, before he made it 2 steps he is laying in the living room on a bed of insulation on top of a full sheet of rock. His wife was yelling at him and I couldn't stop laughing, luckly he wasn't hurt.

DavidA

I've only managed to do that in my own home. Caught my armpits over two joists so I didn't quite make it all the way through. Once the pain hit I wish I had gone all the way. Of course the worst part was trying to consol my wife who was stuck somewhere between tears and laughing her butt off.

kbrandt

Only time I have done that is at my own house running bathroom exhaust fan. So I kicked out some more drywall and ran my wire was easy access. Patched the next day and painted.

Worked out great for me.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I've never fell through a ceiling before while in the attic but I did tear down a lot of ceiling grid trying to get away from the neutral on a 277 lighting circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.