Disconnecting Means - More than 6 Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

I think your reading it wrong. Are you suggesting I could feed more than 6 apartments without a main breaker just because they are on outside of building ?

Nope, if these six apartments are built "IN" the same building I.E. no fire wall etc... then you will have conductors "entering" a building so the six disconnect rule applies.

But if the conductors or what they feed does not enter the same building or structure, only each structure is required to follow the six disconnect rule.

Now if the conductors do not enter a building or structure at all, I can not find a code requiring a disconnect (service). we used this very interpretation to feed another structure from the load side of a double lug 320 meter base, utility runs out of the ground or from over head hits the line side of the meter, we hit a MB load center in the house from one set of lugs, and run from the other set of lugs back into the ground over to a garage or other type of building and hit another MB load center at that building, no disconnect is required at the first building because the conductors do not enter it.

I kind of through this out there to see what others thought, if the AC unit is outside the building, other then the disconnect required in 440.11.

Where in the NEC would you find a requirment for the feed to this AC unit (including disconnect) if it was fed from the outside service equipment and the conductors never enter the building or structure? remember 230.70 clearly states "in a building" in it's requirment, it does not say "to a building" it does not say "on a building"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.