service mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

OregonSE

I always plumb-bob a mark on the soffet to the center of the hub. Replace hole saw mandrel pilot bit with a 1/4"x18" bell hanger bit. 2 9/16" hole saw for 2"RMC. Drill at mark keeping level through soffet and pilot bit through roof. Hole saw through roof keeping hole saw level. If a plumber is arround,ask to borrow his for the hole on the roof so you dont get any roof goo on yours.

480sparky

Get inventive`

Get inventive`

Let me introduce you to the Binford 6300 Mast Riser Hole Saw:

DSC_0478a.jpg

DSC_0480a.jpg

DSC_0479a.jpg

raider1

Staff member
I agree with the posts so far.

I have always used a long pilot bit for the hole saw, either a bell hanger bit or just a long 1/4" drill bit.

Chris

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Geez, that really was STUPID !!!!! Although I never met his wife so who am I to judge. "Honey would you stand here and tell me if I am drilling in the right spot, BOOM." and he took 2 shots, thats the best part.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
480, I like that. What did you use, EMT ? I need to make one. "Thumbs Up"

hurk27

I just can't figure why the news caster Karen say's " the husband was trying to do what many of us have done" I hate to tell her I have never used a gun to drill a hole:roll:

This is one of the most dumbest things I have heard of yet, even if no one was outside, that 22 could have traveled over a mile, and who knows what it could hit?

A very sad story indeed.

220/221

Hole saw a touch bigger than what you need and a long enough pilot to keep it in line while drilling.

I generally drill a 1/4" pilot hole from the bottom and use the hole saw from the top to achieve better control. Start the hole square to the roof then start to work the angle to the plumb position. Also, reverse the drill while cutting thru the shingles to save the teeth.

Also, a sawsall with a skinny blade works in a pinch.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I just can't figure why the news caster Karen say's " the husband was trying to do what many of us have done" I hate to tell her I have never used a gun to drill a hole:roll:

This is one of the most dumbest things I have heard of yet, even if no one was outside, that 22 could have traveled over a mile, and who knows what it could hit?

A very sad story indeed.

Are you saying there is a better way to run cable TV?
Your right, I didn't think about it until you pointed it out, 22 caliber isn't large enough to run coax through, you need at least a 9mm to get the cable through the hole.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, "you can't fix stupid!"

Hendrix

Are you saying there is a better way to run cable TV?
Your right, I didn't think about it until you pointed it out, 22 caliber isn't large enough to run coax through, you need at least a 9mm to get the cable through the hole.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, "you can't fix stupid!"

I think a 25 cal. would work just fine.;)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
.......................................................................ask to borrow his for the hole on the roof so you dont get any roof goo on yours.
:grin:.................................

dbuckley

Let me introduce you to the Binford 6300 Mast Riser Hole Saw:
The Binford model 6300 is always the answer :)

I too was staggered by the newsgirl saying "something we all have done".

Here in New Zealand the cops would throw his ass in jail, having charged him with Careless use of a firearm causing death. The question of more serious charges might follow. We get many cases a year of hunters who accidentally shoot people, and they all get charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.