Grounding a receptacle to cold water pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

What code cycle did the NEC prohibit you from grouding a 3 prong - 120 volt residential receptacle to the cold water pipe when you only had a hot and a nuetral at a receptacle that you wanted to ground? Was these ever acceptable? I can remember working for a guy 15 years ago who did this all the time and would tell me that the code allowed it.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
what code cycle did the nec prohibit you from grouding a 3 prong - 120 volt residential receptacle to the cold water pipe when you only had a hot and a nuetral at a receptacle that you wanted to ground? Was these ever acceptable? I can remember working for a guy 15 years ago who did this all the time and would tell me that the code allowed it.

250.130(c).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Still acceptable if you go to the water pipe within 5' of where it enters the building. Oh yeah the pipe was be metallic...:D

GG

So I can just grab a roll of bare #14 copper for 15 amp circuits and run this from the ground screw of the receptacle to 5' of the water pipe or even into the ground bus at a service panel? I did not know that has always been allowed. Thats good to know.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So I can just grab a roll of bare #14 copper for 15 amp circuits and run this from the ground screw of the receptacle to 5' of the water pipe or even into the ground bus at a service panel? I did not know that has always been allowed. Thats good to know.

If I could I would run a new wire back to the panel rather than just a ground wire. Heck if you go thru that much trouble you may as well run a new cable.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Short answer. Yes.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I could I would run a new wire back to the panel rather than just a ground wire. Heck if you go thru that much trouble you may as well run a new cable.
I agree. When asked about adding grounding to existing receptacles, I begin with "Why?" In most cases, it involves appliances, audio/video systems, or computer setups.

Just about every time, I recommend installing a new circuit for the new load instead. It's better for the new equipment, and alleviates the existing wiring of the additional load.

Oh, yeah. It also means a full-sized EGC run with its circuit conductors, positively connected at the circuit's source.

OregonSE

What code cycle did the NEC prohibit you from grouding a 3 prong - 120 volt residential receptacle to the cold water pipe when you only had a hot and a nuetral at a receptacle that you wanted to ground? Was these ever acceptable? I can remember working for a guy 15 years ago who did this all the time and would tell me that the code allowed it.

IMO,grounding a receptacle to a cold water pipe is a BAD idea even though permitted. There are to many failure possibilities. I have seen to many failures with this method which have caused injurys and fires. Stick with 300.3B.
IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.