extension cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

Are gfci required in a business office in a situation where a piece of electrical equipment can not plug into a outlet without a extension cord ? And how long is tempory ? 90 Days ? Thank you

kwired

Electron manager
210.8 B lists where GFCI protection is needed in non dwelling applications.

There are also several sections relating to specific equipment or conditions thay require GFCI protection. Temporary installations is one of them.

590.6 Ground-Fault Protection for Personnel.
Ground-fault protection for personnel for all temporary wiring installations shall be provided to comply with 590.6(A) and (B). This section shall apply only to temporary wiring installations used to supply temporary power to equipment used by personnel during construction, remodeling, maintenance, repair, or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment, or similar activities. This section shall apply to power derived from an electric utility company or from an on-site-generated power source.

I do not feel GFCI protection is a requirement for this installation or that article 590 applies either.

The section that likely applies is

400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces

iwire

Staff member
The NEC and OSHA both consider extension cords temporary wiring and if being used for construction-like activities, including certain maintenance, remodeling, or repair activities, involving buildings, structures or equipment GFCI protection is required.

IMO if they are using an extension cord to supply something like a copy machine no GFCI is needed but they may well be violating 400.8(1) as was mentioned.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I do not believe that 400 applys. We are not using the cord for a wiring method (Chapter 3).

We are using it for its design (110.3). To allow a piece of equipment to be utilized.

My cord for my water heater is not long enough to plug into the receptical installed directly above it on a joist. Are you saying that I can not install a 4' cord to make this installation work?

My biggest concern would be a UL listing for the cord.

iwire

Staff member
I do not believe that 400 applys. We are not using the cord for a wiring method (Chapter 3).

I agree, it is not being used as a wiring method, but 400 is Chapter 4 and has nothing to do with wiring methods.

The cord is being used as a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure and that is a violation of Article 400.

My cord for my water heater is not long enough to plug into the receptical installed directly above it on a joist. Are you saying that I can not install a 4' cord to make this installation work?

To the letter of the code? No I don't believe you can.

jumper

2009 IFC:

605.5 Extension cords. Extension cords and flexible cords shall not be a substitute for permanent wiring. Extension cords and flexible cords shall not be affixed to structures, extended through walls, ceilings or floors, or under doors or floor coverings, nor shall such cords be subject to environmental damage or physical impact. Extension cords shall be used only with portable appliances.

605.9 Temporary wiring. Temporary wiring for electrical power and lighting installations is allowed for a period not to exceed 90 days. Temporary wiring methods shall meet the applicable provisions of NFPA 70.

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
2009 IFC:

605.5 Extension cords. Extension cords and flexible cords shall not be a substitute for permanent wiring. Extension cords and flexible cords shall not be affixed to structures, extended through walls, ceilings or floors, or under doors or floor coverings, nor shall such cords be subject to environmental damage or physical impact. Extension cords shall be used only with portable appliances.

Is it really being used for "permanent" wiring?

iwire

Staff member
I think utilization equipment fits it better.

That looks to be a problem with this code I know nothing about.

2009 IFC:

iwire

Staff member
Just to kick this around a bit more. :)

Say I wire a 100' x 100' commercial open office space, the plans call for me to install full lighting, EBUs and Exit signs, but they also show all the receptacles at one location.

At that one location I install 20 duplexes each supplied by a 20 amp circuit. The inspector asks how the power is getting to all 20 desks, I tell him the owner is going to run one cord to each desk.

Is this an NEC violation or not?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Say I wire a 100' x 100' commercial open office space, the plans call for me to install full lighting, EBUs and Exit signs, but they also show all the receptacles at one location.

At that one location I install 20 duplexes each supplied by a 20 amp circuit. The inspector asks how the power is getting to all 20 desks, I tell him the owner is going to run one cord to each desk.

Nope. Approved plans.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

It's not a violation until he actually does it, if it is a violation at all (and that may well be a violation).

jumper

Mine is a high eff. gas. Does 430 apply? I'll have to look.

How did we get into 430?

Anyways,

Appliance or utilization equipment: does not matter.

400.7 Uses Permitted.
(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for
the following:

(3) Connection of portable luminaires, portable and mobile
signs, or appliances

(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent
interchange

(8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical
connections are specifically designed to permit
ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the
appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord
connection.

(B) Attachment Plugs. Where used as permitted in
400.7(A)(3), (A)(6), and (A)(8), each flexible cord shall be
equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized
from a receptacle outlet.

And 110.3(B)

This excerpt from this model:

? Unit is to connect to a 120VAC electrical supply outlet
(extension cord is not allowed).

And this from here:

If a flexible line cord and plug is permitted by local code, then provide a three wire grounding type receptacle within reach of the line cord provided on the control box.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is my opinion that cords, unless they are physically attached in some manner to the building or structure, are not "installed" and are outside the scope of the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.