Romex Staple Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4gery

I have to admit, I'm not very good at conventional NM stapling. I had my start in commercial and my residential is more service work than new work so my experience is limited.

I like the idea of the Arrow T75, a simple staple gun to replace the hammer and smashed thumb. I wouldn't rope a whole house with one, but it looks like it might be handy to run a new circuit thru a basement or attic or maybe rough in a new bathroom.

Anyone ever use a romex staple gun? Experiences? Although the ones I looked at are listed for use with NM, has anyone had any problems with inspectors?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Anyone ever use a romex staple gun? Experiences? Although the ones I looked at are listed for use with NM, has anyone had any problems with inspectors?

I have not but I know someone who does, present tense. I must admit he is very efficient with it. In the past, 25 years ago I have heard complaints but this guy loves it. The staples cost more but he saves a lot in labor.

ceb58

I have to admit, I'm not very good at conventional NM stapling. I had my start in commercial and my residential is more service work than new work so my experience is limited.

I like the idea of the Arrow T75, a simple staple gun to replace the hammer and smashed thumb. I wouldn't rope a whole house with one, but it looks like it might be handy to run a new circuit thru a basement or attic or maybe rough in a new bathroom.

I have two of them and love them. Although mine are not Arrow brand, to much snow and ice to walk to trailer for the brand. I can put in 4 to 5 by the time you can put in one regular staple. The only issue I have had with an inspector over the stapler was he had never seen one and he walked around shooting staples in studs like a kid with a new toy. The only thing about the gun is getting in tight places and if the wire is in a bind the staple will not set all the way.

480sparky

T75 all day long. The staples aren't that much... maybe $9/box. It won't work in ALL staple situations, but it works for 75% of 'em. And you can staple NM in places you would never be able to hammer.

Just make sure to use the staples designed for NM. I carry an empty box in the truck just to show the occasional inspector who's never run across them.

7910ST75.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I bought one several years ago, and used it a little. Two staples per staple (you know what I mean) were required, and still didn't hold well in some wood. I lost interest fairly quickly. Never an inspection mention.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hammers, staple guns, thumbs? What ever happened to a pair of Klines??????
Nothing has happened to my Kleins or my thumbs. I use the former to hold the staple when I start it, so I don't hurt the latter. In a tight spot, I hit the pinned end of the pivot of the Kleins with the hammer to drive a staple in with the tip.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My original one was made by Powerfast (the company went bust about 2 years ago and can't get staples) and it worked great especially along the sill plate in a basement. But, I wouldn't use it to staple all the wire to studs in a house - too cumbersome and the staples are expensive by comparison to std. staples. Since Powerfast tanked I drove directly to Arrow in Saddle Brook, NJ and bought the T-75 (they just happened to have a refurbished one for $30.00) and 3 boxes of staples. Works great.

renosteinke

Gee, I hope you're wrong about Powerfast .... I've used one for years, and my local HD still has at least some staples.

I might go back and look ... I almost remember seeing the tool in a different wrapper; maybe they were simply bought up.

Anyway, Powerfast was selling a Romex Stapler long before Arrow. I much prefer their plastic-bushinged staples, and you only need one at each 'point of attachment.' It works best when you've stacked two staples, have both ends of the stapler supported, and doesn't tolerate a 'limp wrist.' Have a weak hold and it, just like a Colt 1911A1, misfeeds and jams. At least the jams are fairly easy to clear.

Those who get the IAEI magazine migh recall ads by Arrow claiming that theirs was the only UL listed romex stapler. This is an error of understanding on your part. The Arrow stapler is listed for one particular combination of cables that the Powerfast is not; in a like manner, the PowerFast staples are listed for combinations that the Arrow staples are not. The Arrow ad was, IMO, very misleading.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Gee, I hope you're wrong about Powerfast .... I've used one for years, and my local HD still has at least some staples.

I might go back and look ... I almost remember seeing the tool in a different wrapper; maybe they were simply bought up.

Anyway, Powerfast was selling a Romex Stapler long before Arrow. I much prefer their plastic-bushinged staples, and you only need one at each 'point of attachment.' It works best when you've stacked two staples, have both ends of the stapler supported, and doesn't tolerate a 'limp wrist.' Have a weak hold and it, just like a Colt 1911A1, misfeeds and jams. At least the jams are fairly easy to clear.

Those who get the IAEI magazine migh recall ads by Arrow claiming that theirs was the only UL listed romex stapler. This is an error of understanding on your part. The Arrow stapler is listed for one particular combination of cables that the Powerfast is not; in a like manner, the PowerFast staples are listed for combinations that the Arrow staples are not. The Arrow ad was, IMO, very misleading.
I hope, for your sake, that I'm wrong also. My supply house told me they went bust. I tried for months to get staples and no one had any. I got impatient and then purchased the Arrow model.

One thing I'd like to point out about either of these staple guns - When firing in a staple over a wire, the bottom of the gun has to be completely flat with the cable. If you lift the back end up even slightly, the staple has a tendency to jam.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The first time I tried a Romex stapler it sucked. It jammed so much it wasn't worth using. I think it was a Powerfast. Now I have a G&B Cable Boss and it works great.

The only thing I don't like is if you have to hold the gun at a screwy angle, it's hard to squeeze the handle all the way. I wish they would make one that you could 'cock' and then fire it with just the push of a button.

You can get different staples for the Cable Boss, including ones for LV.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I've never wanted one but might consider it soon. I've been in a few houses lately where joists took about 10 taps to hold staple for you to hammer in. Think it's in, let go & staple falls out. Most lumber, 3-4 taps hold it for you to drive it.

PetrosA

Anyone with experience using staplers on the fabricated joists (silent joists)? I really get frustrated stapling them - the staple either goes in and busts through like butter or bounces 20 times before you can get it started. Not to mention you have to use the really short staples to limit how much they stick out the other side. Argh!

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The only thing I don't like is if you have to hold the gun at a screwy angle, it's hard to squeeze the handle all the way. I wish they would make one that you could 'cock' and then fire it with just the push of a button.
Or, at least make the stapler have a "backwards" handle where you apply the pressure over the end the staple exits.

Status
Not open for further replies.