Distance from gas meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

I looked at a job today and the existing residential meter base is sitting diretcly above the gas meter. Isnt it required to be 5' from the gas meter?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
That is a Utility co. standard, here "PG&E" wants 36" from the two.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The requirement used to be 3' from a/c or heat pumps. I heard that locally that requirement is gone. I bet the utility would say something about the gas meter under their meter.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As far as I know, the NEC has no requirement OTHER THAN, not "directly over". 110.26 would make that a violation: (3) Height of Working Space. The work space shall be clear and extend from the grade, floor, or platform

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As far as I know, the NEC has no requirement OTHER THAN, not "directly over". 110.26 would make that a violation: (3) Height of Working Space. The work space shall be clear and extend from the grade, floor, or platform

Gus, does that refer to meters which are generally the poco's.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Gus, does that refer to meters which are generally the poco's.

nope... not in this area anyway.,.,.. caught me ;) as I said in a "dumb statement" thread.."watch me".... I just rejected an outside panel over a gas meter and my mind was there instead of on the thread as it should be.... sometimes it takes side trips..;)

GG

Well the owner said the city inspector came out and saw the meter base directly above the gas meter and said "its fine". I can also reach up and touch the service conductors, if I wanted to. I guess thats fine as well? #8 wire running to a ground rod secured with a romex connector. I guess thats also fine. I think this owner is trying to hose me.

I told him unless we do it right then Im not interested what the inspector claims to have said was "ok". Meter base is also over 7' off the ground. Its a new GE indoor panel and looks like a handyman put the panel in for cheap and now the owner wants to flip the house and wants it done cheap. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.