208V 1phase loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Perhaps I am wrong but I agree with Bill

If 6 heaters are distributed evenly then that means each phase has 4- 1500 watt loads. 4 * 1500 = 6000 . 6000/120= 50 AMPS. Also 18000/360= 50

AB
BC
CA
AB
BC
CA

Must be early in the AM because this doesn't seem correct to me.:roll:

Let's say there's 3 heaters instead of six. That would be equivalent to one 208 volt, 3 phase load of 3 KW. Current would equal 3000/208/1.73=8.33 amps.

Now with six heaters connected you could double the current so you would end up 8.33 * 2 = 16.66 amps.

Where am I going wrong?

Besoeker

Let's say there's 3 heaters instead of six. That would be equivalent to one 208 volt, 3 phase load of 3 KW. Current would equal 3000/208/1.73=8.33 amps.

Now with six heaters connected you could double the current so you would end up 8.33 * 2 = 16.66 amps.

Where am I going wrong?
The bit in bold.
Note that the OP states that each heating load is 3 kVA.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Where am I going wrong?

3 at 3 kw ea = 9kw on 208 3 phase, 25 amps

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Let's say there's 3 heaters instead of six. That would be equivalent to one 208 volt, 3 phase load of 3 KW.
Where am I going wrong?
Remember they are single phase 208V heaters so this is incorrect.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
"So what would the load be if all six heaters were distributed evenly across all three phases? "

I was just doing the math on what he asked.

I'm confused- your answer was based on even distribution- it is correct-- each phase would be 50 amps.

Look at post 20 and see if that helps. Obviously if we had most of the load on 2 phases or use the OP's initial setup, then using watts/360 would not work

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If you use the forum settings then you are displaying 10 posts per page. so post 20 would be on page 2 at the bottom. Bottom or top right is where you select the pages.

I thought there might be a search function or something. I hadn't been on the forum long enough to learn the old style set up and now I'm still trying to figure this new style out.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there a way to quickly go back to a specific post #?
If you click on the little blue double arrow next to the quotee's name in a quote, it takes you to the original post.

Otherwise, you can click on the post number itself to single out that one post.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If you click on the little blue double arrow next to the quotee's name in a quote, it takes you to the original post.

Otherwise, you can click on the post number itself to single out that one post.

Thanks Larry! I knew all those little buttons that I haven't pushed had to do something.

I suppose you've been asked this before. But here goes...Wasn't "Larry Fine" one of the "3 Stooges?";)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wasn't "Larry Fine" one of the "3 Stooges?";)
Yep!
Larry%20Fine.jpg

Yep, but now he is our very own stooge.
I resemble that remark! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.