gfci protection not required over bath tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyrice

can anyone explain to me why the code does not require gfci protection for a recessed light listed for a damp or wet location over a bath tub or shower 410.10(D),and does require gfci prot. for a recessed light over a hot tub or spa 680.43(B)(1).to my way of thinking both types of tubs present a hazard associated with people standing in water and maybe in the case of a damaged recessed light being subjected to a shock or electrocution hazard.I don't think the fact that a spa or hot tub having a motor and a bath tub not having a motor should preclude a bath tub or shower not having gfci prot. for recessed lights within 7.6 feet or 8 feet above the outline of the tub or shower.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So a light has an egc and is located over a shower and you think that it is a hazard? Obviously there has not been documentation of this install being a problem. Hot tubs have different requirements then hydromassage tubs. Hot tubs have chemicals which makes the water more conductive then bath tub water. Most people cannot reach the trim on a can that is 8' high.

Bea

There is a RC can that allows open trim with a par lamp so long as it is GFCI protected in a shower I don't recall the brand.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Actually most fan/lights req. gfci if installed over a shower but there are some cans that also req. it-- most do not.

Also, all recessed cans can have an open bulb over a shower if it is rated for damp location and it is more than 8' over the rim of the shower or tub.

I install open bulbs in cans over hydromassage tubs all the time- no shower so height doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.