Access clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWITT

What is the required clearance in an industrial factory for a 480 volt 3 phase 600 amp service disconnect.

WorkSafe

* I'm not a electrician *

NEC 110.26 would apply to this? If so, the width of the equipment or 30", which ever is greater, and 36" in front. This is the area to keep clear, but I think you maybe talking about the required clear space while work is being performed on this equipment?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You're half right, Mark. Two thirds actually. ;) 110.26 does apply, and being an industrial facility changes nothing. The side to side space is 30 inches, or the width of the equipment, whichever number is higher. But the required space in front is most likely to be be 42 inches. That is because most installations fall under "Condition 2," meaning that the opposite side of the space is a grounded surface.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
* I'm not a electrician *

NEC 110.26 would apply to this? If so, the width of the equipment or 30", which ever is greater, and 36" in front. This is the area to keep clear, but I think you maybe talking about the required clear space while work is being performed on this equipment?

Table 110.26 (A) (1) requires 36 inches if condition 1 is met. 42 inches if condition 2 is met and condition 3 requires 48 inches of depth.

Charlie was a little quicker than me!

WorkSafe

You're half right, Mark. Two thirds actually. ;) 110.26 does apply, and being an industrial facility changes nothing. The side to side space is 30 inches, or the width of the equipment, whichever number is higher. But the required space in front is most likely to be be 42 inches. That is because most installations fall under "Condition 2," meaning that the opposite side of the space is a grounded surface.

Ya know, I was looking at that table and was wondering that my ownself. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.