25' aluminum pole with shoe box head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
How many guys/hours do you think it should take to set one of these poles on a concrete base furnished and installed by others. My sub who is providing the cherry picker and operator said we should be able to set 10 in a day. That seems like an awful lot. I was thinking more like 5-6. I not talking about wiring here.

iwire

Staff member
We could do more than ten in 8 hours.

We have them all pre-assembled and wired and either waiting beside the pole bases or have a Lull to bring them to the bases as needed.

After that it is just set them quick leaving the nuts basically loose and move onto the next one.

After all the lifting is done you can go back to check how level they are, fine tune them and give the nuts a final tighten.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
We could do more than ten in 8 hours.

We have them all pre-assembled and wired and either waiting beside the pole bases or have a Lull to bring them to the bases as needed.

After that it is just set them quick leaving the nuts basically loose and move onto the next one.

After all the lifting is done you can go back to check how level they are, fine tune them and give the nuts a final tighten.

isn't the pre-assemble part of the labor? We/you have to assemeble them. Whe you say assemeble you eman the pole to the fixture head I assume. Thanks.

480sparky

25 footers with aerial equipment? 10 would be a slow day.

If you're all set and ready to stand 'em up, you should easily get 10 done by lunchtime. Have 'em wired up, the first set of nuts/washers on the bolts set & roughly leveled, and a pole sitting by each base.

Having the equipment needed to stand them up idling while you assemble each pole is poor planning. Get them laid out, assembled, wired, and 100% ready to stand up before the truck arrives.

cdslotz

What about submittals, receiving, unloading, storing, un-crating, assembling, erecting, lamping, or sometimes painting?
Then there is the cost of a crane or bucket truck.

My LABOR UNITS sat 5.3 hrs/ea

iwire

Staff member
How many guys/hours do you think it should take to set one of these poles on a concrete base furnished and installed by others.

You seemed to be asking just the time for the setting of the poles. Which is what I was answering.

If we were paying for a cherry picker to set poles we would have the poles 100% ready to go.

• Head(s) bolted on
  • Lamp(s) installed.
  • Wiring made up in the head(s) and dropped down the pole and out the hand hole taped out of the way.
  • Poles laid out beside the base (or a machine to bring them out as needed quickly)

With all of the above done the cherry picker work flies and you can send it off the job quickly.

Now if you are asking how long for each pole to receive, unpackage, assemble, wire, set and level that is something altogether different and we could not do that many in a day.

cdslotz

Now if you are asking how long for each pole to receive, unpackage, assemble, wire, set and level that is something altogether different and we could not do that many in a day.

So why would someone want to know how long it takes to just install the poles? Unless of course, they haven't considered any of the other tasks related to setting a pole assembly.
The labor units have all of that included.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
You seemed to be asking just the time for the setting of the poles. Which is what I was answering.

If we were paying for a cherry picker to set poles we would have the poles 100% ready to go.

• Head(s) bolted on
  • Lamp(s) installed.
  • Wiring made up in the head(s) and dropped down the pole and out the hand hole taped out of the way.
  • Poles laid out beside the base (or a machine to bring them out as needed quickly)

With all of the above done the cherry picker work flies and you can send it off the job quickly.

Yes, the recieve, unpackages etc. was what I was referring to. Sorry!! But thanks for the information regarding what it takes. That was nicely described. So how many hours per pole would you say it takes to do all that?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
NECA Manual Of Labor units gives 8hrs(normal) for a 5"x24' alumunum pole. That obviously includes all that is required to recieve, unpackage, assemble etc. But that seems high.

220/221

If you can't assemble and set 10 in a day, you are doing something very wrong.

I am pushing 60 and I know I could assemble and set ten in a day by MYSELF.

I would want to, but I could.

Organization and preparedness is the key.

Unload the poles and fixtures in a smart location near the bases..

Set the tap, bolt the heads to the fixtures.

Remove templates. Make sure bolts are coming up properly. Adjust with a sledge (on a nut) if someone did something dumb. Level the bottom nuts.

Pick up the poles/fixtures with proper rigging, set them in place and secure them.

Some fixtures require lifting from the hand hole if th efixture isn't thru bolted to the pole. Use a C clamp in the hand hole if the crane guy doesn't have a hook that will fit in. Your 20' strap hooks to the hand hole, goes up the pole well past the balance point, loops around on itself and attaches to the crane hook.

A tag line on your lifting strap will keep you from looking foolish trying to get the strap loose.

BAsically, plan ahead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.