White wire markers-Code Violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkb

In the Electrical Contractor Magazine on page 126 of the Feb 2011 edition, there is an add for wire markers from Garvin Industries.

In the add it has a photo of white wire markers and it says "Code Violation".
They are trying to sell colored wire markers, but I never heard that white markers are a code violation.

Is this just BS?

IMG_0008.jpg

http://www.garvinindustries.com/Too...stallation/Wire-Markers-and-Pulling-Aids/MRK1

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yes it's BS, and I like the way they advertise that they come in 120/240 volt colors, what does the NEC require for those colors? ;)

Roger

DetroitEE

I love the bullet point "No more math calculations". What does that have to do with wire markers?

I also like the use of the word "insure" instead of "ensure"

tkb

While I like the idea of colored markers, I do not like that a blatant lie in the advertising of an electrical supplier in an electrical magazine that pretends to be concerned with and tries to teach the code will allow this false advertising.

SBuck

I love the bullet point "No more math calculations". What does that have to do with wire markers?

In most of the country the standard use for 120/208 is Black, Red, Blue and 480 Brown, Orange, Yellow. The math comes in on the circuit numbers for the color. Multiples of 6 and the odd number before are either Blue or Yellow or the third phase conductor. So circuit 52 would be Red or Orange.

Like I said it is just a standard not code, not all states have an electrical code. Wisconsin code follows these color codes.

Granted I have only worked in Indiana, Oklahoma, Texas, and Wisconsin.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
...Wisconsin code follows these color codes...

Not quite.
Wisconsin only recommends these colors:
WI Comm 16.210(1)
Note: For 277/480 volt systems, the recommended wire colors are brown, orange and yellow. For 120/208 volt systems, the recommended wire colors are black, red and blue.

renosteinke

I believe that -no joke here- that San Francisco has purple/violet as one of the required colors. Does this firm have a special product pack for that region?

SBuck

I worked in Galveston, TX at a refinery. I started working in the main office with a Journeyman that primarily worked commercial, he liked to use purple for the 2nd phase. Then at the same refinery with the same contractor but working inside the refinery all the JW's used orange, these JW's always work on the industrial side of the plant.

tkb

I sent an email to Garvin and they called me back to explain that a local electrician designed these markers.
They said they are contacting the electrician so he could explain why he states that the white markers are a code violation.

They are sending me a catalog.

The guy is suppose to contact me.
I will let you know what his explanation is.

GUNNING

I had to look.

I had to look.

http://kennyclamp.com/

Who sits around and thinks of this stuff. I neeeed that job. My brother in law has one with a Government Prime contractor. He makes up new terms and definitions for the military. I know they are out there. How do I find one???

btharmy

I don't think the markers being white is the issue in the first picture. I think it is the fact that the conductors are numbered 1-black, 3-blue, 5-red. As opposed to the more common color scheme of 1-black, 3-red, 5-blue. They would like to get you to believe that blue and red cannot be interchanged. But they can if the entire system is the same. I can only assume they are implying that the rest of the system is black, red, blue.

kwired

Electron manager

In most of the country the standard use for 120/208 is Black, Red, Blue and 480 Brown, Orange, Yellow. The math comes in on the circuit numbers for the color. Multiples of 6 and the odd number before are either Blue or Yellow or the third phase conductor. So circuit 52 would be Red or Orange.

Like I said it is just a standard not code, not all states have an electrical code. Wisconsin code follows these color codes.

Granted I have only worked in Indiana, Oklahoma, Texas, and Wisconsin.

Most of the times when I use markers like that is when doing control wiring. Getting same colors every third time means nothing when using them for this. Often times the only important thing is the number and color has little value except for maybe white and green. I'm talking complex enough controls where the wire numbers become 3 digits or even more.

I personally would not want the ID marker to be same color as conductor insulation. The whole point of the marker is to be easily seen for identification. About as dumb as using black red and blue conductors and then marking them with black red and blue tape.

You can special order wire with ID numbers, letters, even words already on the insulation if you want. Just make sure you don't get them in white print :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.