Light fixtures falling off the ceiling of the Big Dig

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Here you can see the lights in the tunnel

It starts off under the upper deck of 93, you can see 1000's of feet of 2" RMC up high on the right. It took months for them to be run. After that over the fancy new bridge, down past 'The Garden' and into one of the longer tunnels.

Sometime the real speed almost matches the video. :cool:

cdslotz

That sure seems like a short tunnel. I know the film was sped up, but I thought it was much longer.
I don't think the tunnel under the English channel costs $15 billion.
How can anything overrun that much? Wow

iwire

Staff member
That sure seems like a short tunnel. I know the film was sped up, but I thought it was much longer.
I don't think the tunnel under the English channel costs $15 billion.
How can anything overrun that much? Wow

That is just one of many tunnels, but I think most of the money went to re-routing of all the utilities and the temporary roads they had to build to keep things moving.

Here is a map of what 15 billion can buy.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Highway/images/bigdig/completion_lg.jpeg

cdslotz

That is just one of many tunnels, but I think most of the money went to re-routing of all the utilities and the temporary roads they had to build to keep things moving.

Here is a map of what 15 billion can buy.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Highway/images/bigdig/completion_lg.jpeg

OK, so how does a $2B estimate go to $15? Sounds like a project that once you start, there's no turning back. Leading to contractor/labor/political corruption. And apparently, shoddy work.

mivey

Awesome :roll:........... I will be thinking of that the next time I am in the tunnel flying along at 70.

Luminaire Dodge-em!
We should feel safe:
"There is no question in my mind that the tunnels are robust and safe for the traveling public," Mullan said. "We've done an individual inspection of each of the lighting fixtures that is over the travelway, and we know that they are secured adequately and that the tunnel is safe."

Ummm wait a minute. This report just coming in:
...The ceiling collapse led then-Governor Mitt Romney to force Massachusetts Turnpike Authority Matthew Amorello out of office, and prompted what state officials said was a ?stem-to-stern? inspection of the Big Dig tunnels.
Mullan said the "stem-to-stern" inspection was a visual inspection that did not identify the problem with the light fixtures.
The Turnpike Authority, which managed the Big Dig until 2009, acknowledged in 2007 that hundreds of leaks remained and that plugged leaks were regularly reopening.

Upon further reflection, I think I'll be going AT LEAST 70 mph and no more stopping for smoke breaks 1/2 way through the tunnel. Probably invest in some spare steering wheel covers & seat cushions. ;)

I'm guessing Brinckerhoff was the low bidder?

Status
Not open for further replies.