Kitchen lighting suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JES2727

I'm interested to know people's preferences regarding kitchen lighting. I'm responsible for the lighting design in a 12' x 21' kitchen/dining, and I'd like it to be "state of the art", so to speak. Would you use 4" cans in a kitchen that large? Is anyone using LED recessed cans, and are you satisfied with them? Is anyone using Invisiled tape for the under-cabinet lighting? http://www.waclighting.com/USA/products/?categoryid=352
Any other suggestions?

We're also considering plug-mold under the cabinets instead of receps in the backsplash. Any pros & cons to that idea?

Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would either use 5" minimum cans or usually 6" cans. Some members think that 6" can are ugly and everyone should move to the 5" cans. Under cabinet lights I use xenon or halogen-- preferably xenon.

muskrat

Cans suck...unless used for task light over peninsula/island.JMHO
Decorative fixture over sink/matching center of room or island/dining/etc?
T-8 strip on top of back of cabinets for indirect passage light?
Agree w/ previous post-xenon for task/under cabinet.
Alot depends on layout/HO taste etc
JMHO-but have done alot

BullsnPyrs

Go for the LED under cabinet lighting, the product line looks good. just remember to add a switched outlet for each power supply/LED Driver
I don't like cans except to highlight a specific feature.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We can argue all day about the benefits of cans vs whatever. The fact is no one wants fluorescents or surface incandescents and I cannot think of a kitchen I have done in 20 years that doesn't use cans. Hanging lights over an island and LED under cabinet lights are real expensive and not cost effective in a home-- even the sales people will admit to that.

I'm interested to know people's preferences regarding kitchen lighting. I'm responsible for the lighting design in a 12' x 21' kitchen/dining, and I'd like it to be "state of the art", so to speak. Would you use 4" cans in a kitchen that large? Is anyone using LED recessed cans, and are you satisfied with them? Is anyone using Invisiled tape for the under-cabinet lighting? http://www.waclighting.com/USA/products/?categoryid=352
Any other suggestions?

We're also considering plug-mold under the cabinets instead of receps in the backsplash. Any pros & cons to that idea?

Thank you.

My dream lighting was always indirect lighting, embedded on the crown molding all around the perimeter. An LED strip, dimmable, giving a new life to this concept. I like to use the strips with much closer placed LED elements, like 1-1.5" apart for uniformity. Same for undercabinet for extra surface lighting, the fume hood - if any - and would even sneak some onto the overhead hanging pot-rack.

marti smith

The light spectrum should match 'daylight' so the food looks appetizing.

I need all the help I can get!

I never did like plugmold, although I do like UC lighting. As LED is all the rage, I find I am still bias toward the incandescents due to their warm color. Maybe because I can never seem to get dinner on the table while it's still warm-

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I may be old-fashioned, but I like 6" cans, typically centered on cabinet door pairs and over the edge of the counter, I like fluorescent under-cabinet lights, typically out against the cabinet front, and I like Plugmold mounted on a 2x2 ripped on the 45 for easy plug access mounted against the cabinet back.

Added:

MMMMM green eggs and ham
Here ya' go, Sam-I-Am!

green_eggs_and_ham.jpg

Last edited:

normbac

Wired a new house that had a large kitchen required plug mold on gfci cb. Small chando over center island pendants over outer breakfast island and 4 inch cans placed in entire ceiling area looked high end for sure

JES2727

Thanks for all the feedback.
I hadn't considered not installing recessed cans, but maybe I'll give that some more thought. I think I'll be putting 3 pendant lights above the sink/countertop area that faces a big window. Maybe I can find a ceiling fixture to match....
For the past several years I've been recommending Xenon u/c lights, and that's what I'll use here if I decide against the LED. I'll have to check the cost, although this is my own kitchen ( well, my wife's actually) so I don't have to pay any mark-up on the fixtures.
I like the idea of putting the plugmold on a 45.

Another challenge I'm dealing with is where to put the switch for the lights over the sink? If we're going with the plugmold to keep the backsplash clear then it should be 100% - no switches either. Any suggestions? The other switches will be at the entry to the kitchen and not in the backsplash, but the switch for the sink light should be near the sink. How do I keep it out of the backsplash and still convenient to use?

normbac

Thanks for all the feedback.
I hadn't considered not installing recessed cans, but maybe I'll give that some more thought. I think I'll be putting 3 pendant lights above the sink/countertop area that faces a big window. Maybe I can find a ceiling fixture to match....
For the past several years I've been recommending Xenon u/c lights, and that's what I'll use here if I decide against the LED. I'll have to check the cost, although this is my own kitchen ( well, my wife's actually) so I don't have to pay any mark-up on the fixtures.
I like the idea of putting the plugmold on a 45.

Another challenge I'm dealing with is where to put the switch for the lights over the sink? If we're going with the plugmold to keep the backsplash clear then it should be 100% - no switches either. Any suggestions? The other switches will be at the entry to the kitchen and not in the backsplash, but the switch for the sink light should be near the sink. How do I keep it out of the backsplash and still convenient to use?

Air switch for G/D switch light over sink where you enter kitchen

cadpoint

There's all sorts of free lighting calculation programs out on the I-net!

If personal preferences over-ride a clients desires, one is at a lost, JMO.
There are many things that can be said about how a kitchen functions or the desired functions in the kitchen!

There's still plenty of undercabinet flouresents that will fit undercabinet and will work all day...

U really need to think of a suspended flourecent which will give you flooded area covererage and as long as you don't put the down lights to close to the wall, a spot will not be just that a conacal of illumination as opposed to a spot of light.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There's all sorts of free lighting calculation programs out on the I-net!

If personal preferences over-ride a clients desires, one is at a lost, JMO.
There are many things that can be said about how a kitchen functions or the desired functions in the kitchen!

There's still plenty of undercabinet flouresents that will fit undercabinet and will work all day...

U really need to think of a suspended flourecent which will give you flooded area covererage and as long as you don't put the down lights to close to the wall, a spot will not be just that a conacal of illumination as opposed to a spot of light.
I love reading your posts on weekends. :cool:

cadpoint

Well thanks Larry... Honestly... Some times, I like to think that a thought counts!

How it's measured and how it comes across to the masses is always subjective! :)

WE need another DC Road Trip!

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well thanks Larry... Honestly... Some times, I like to think that a thought counts!

How it's measured and how it comes across to the masses is always subjective! :)

WE need another DC Road Trip!
Absolutely, on all three counts. :grin:

Hmm. Richmond is kinda central, isn't it? :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.