Kitchen lighting suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I recently went back to a couple of kitchens I wired 6 and 7 years ago for a small service call. One lady wished her undercabs had been installed at the front of the cabinets. Something I never thought of. I have had trouble from 12V low voltage halogen track in kitchens. WAC lighting in particular. The humidity in kitchens caused corrosion on the little spring contacts of the lights, had to be removed after 4 years.

I have gotten feedback on very expensive stainless commercial looking hoods: Noisy and the filters rattle when air pressure drops not worth it. Get a quiet kitchen exaust fan that works and vents to the outside. I have seen these inline fans recently for bathrooms where the fan mounts up the the attic near the vent I wonder if there is one for kitchens.

Lots of people like the pendants. Again stay away from halogen it is hot and high maintenance in any configuration. I second the Zenon or LED 12V lamps.

Run away from ceiling fans in kitchens or areas that share space they are a cleaning nightmare after cooking all those green eggs and ham.

Look out for dimmers that don't match switch colors etc.

I have had problems with dimmers not being the same brand as the devices and looking a noticeably off to the customer and not the Journeyman. Keep your brand the same if you are going with light almond, brown or black trim.

We get a per can rebate for LED cans here.

Status
Not open for further replies.