200 amp service upgrade pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since I did a residential service change. I'm wondering, what is the average price you guys charge? The customer has about 65' of old SE cable feeding a 150 amp fuse panel in basement. The basement is unfinished, so replacing the panel will be gravy. I figured around $1750.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My service changes are usually in the $2K range. So $1,750 sounds about right for a 'gravy' job.
I always include the permit and 're-connect' fee that my utility company charges, which is around $250.

growler

It's been a while since I did a residential service change. I'm wondering, what is the average price you guys charge? The customer has about 65' of old SE cable feeding a 150 amp fuse panel in basement. The basement is unfinished, so replacing the panel will be gravy. I figured around $1750.

I would be a bit higher on that one. Replacing the mast and new meter main means new grounds for the system ( got to get those grounds up to code ). 65 ft of 4/0 SER ain't cheap. I would price at least $2500 on this one and if I have to I could afford to come off just a little.

A service change is one of the few times when you have a chance to make a little money.

ceknight

The customer has about 65' of old SE cable feeding a 150 amp fuse panel in basement. The basement is unfinished, so replacing the panel will be gravy. I figured around $1750.

It's pretty rare that I get called to upgrade anyone from 150 to 200A around here unless it's motivated by having to replace damaged equipment. I doubt there's a house in this burg that would merit that upgrade based on a load calc, usually they just get a panel swapped out.

Still, gravy is gravy. $2300-ish and a day's toil. Makes fighting with that 70' SE snake worthwhile. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The customer has about 65' of old SE cable feeding a 150 amp fuse panel in basement.

65 ft of 4/0 SER ain't cheap.

This is important. You're going to need to use an exterior main disco and SER, not SE, for the feeder.

The redundant main breaker in the panel is optional. You could remove it and stock as a spare. :cool:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is important. You're going to need to use an exterior main disco and SER, not SE, for the feeder.

The redundant main breaker in the panel is optional. You could remove it and stock as a spare. :cool:

You're assuming that the SE cable is on the inside and not run on the outside?

growler

Yes and once the main/disco is out side he needs to see how far it is to the cold water connection. If it's all the way to the other side of the basement that's a pretty long run.

People should never think about the one part of the job that's going to be easy but all the things that may be hard and will cost more money. The little things add up quick. What I do is count about $1000 for me for actually doing the service change and another $200 for selling the job and figuring out what's needed and then add all the materials and expenses. Even with an MLO panel and 200 Amp main/disco and all new breakers and maybe ground rods and ground cable and probably a rigid mast and weather head I would probably need at least $2250 to make it work out.

bullheimer

here in wa you have to hit the inside panel within 15ft of where your sec's enter the building. on the outside you can go forever tho. but can't use emt either.
my rate is about 2200. for extra stuff i add on. for example my last bid was an extra grand to run about 75 ft of 4/0 on the top outside wall from the back to the front of the house in 2" pvc. probably too much. i ended up doing a panel change keeping the same 60A service for 1600 and will do the meter base and sec's later.

wbculley

65 feet is a lot

65 feet is a lot

The code actually says the main disconnect must be at the closest accessable
location after the service entrance cable enters the bldg.
Service cable 4/0 3 wire in our area is between 2.00 $ 3.00 a foot.
We usually charge 1400.00 no mast or 1500.00 mast in our area.
usually 22 feet of ser ent cable

growler

I just saw a local add for a service up-grade. Spring time special 200 Amp up-grade $1200.00, Labor Only.

That's not really a bad idea because it sounds very cheap but at the same time it insures that he will get his $1200 and no matter what the materials cost it's just added on. He may still get a mark-up on materails it didn't really say in the add. If there is any mark up on the materials it will get to around $2K.

Status
Not open for further replies.