Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is hypothetical. Not a hard question but very curious one, IMO

ry%3D480

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Table 310.15(B)(6) {or (B)(7) in the 2011} does not list type TW. So I would have to go back to 310.16. Type TW only has a 60C rating. That gives me either a 600 copper or a 900 aluminum.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Now use the 2011?

The TW is the catch. T. 310.15(B)(6) allows 400KCM if it is THW but since it isn't that means 600 KCM according to the 2008 and 700 KCM by the 2011.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Not on a 400 amp breaker. 240.6(A)
Nothing in the statement of the problem included information about the breaker. The phrase "400 amp service" does not give us that information. Indeed, all it tells me is that the utility equipment (transformer, meter) have sufficient capacity to allow me to install a 400 amp breaker on my main panel. But if the load is 350, and if I use 600 MCM copper, and if I use a 350 amp breaker, I have an acceptable installation that falls within the description of the problem.

However, I do see the intent of your question, and the tricky aspect that comes into play under the 2011 NEC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I guess a 400 amp main breaker could be added to the question. It is just interesting the difference in size when TW occurs. Not only must you use the 60C column but you don't get the benefit of using T.310.15(B)(7) formerly (B)(6).

Status
Not open for further replies.