Changing conduit sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

Here is the situation, GC wants to use pre cast pole bases with a 1" conduit stubbing out of them, specs call for me running a 2" to the pole base. Are you allowed to use a reducer and change conduit sizes without a box? I don't think so but cant find it in code book for sure.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I think you'd better send off an RFI for the 2" requirement. I can't remember running anything larger than an 1.25" to a polebase, ever. What are you pulling in that 2 inch? If you have to use PVC reducers in the middle of a run, it is going to be a pulling nightmare!!!

hurk27

I have seen it and had to work with it many times, I use to keep an open coil of fish tape for reduce run like this so the fish tape can be pushed right on through and coiled back up on the other end, but blowing in a line is much better, and as long as you feed the cable in from the reduced end there is no problem, but as for cost, the requirement of the 2" makes no sense if the poles are only 1" what is the wire size? and how many are going in this 1"?

Cavie

Here is the situation, GC wants to use pre cast pole bases with a 1" conduit stubbing out of them, specs call for me running a 2" to the pole base. Are you allowed to use a reducer and change conduit sizes without a box? I don't think so but cant find it in code book for sure.

2" is minimum size for DOT street lighting. We use a J-box at the base of the pole and run 1" from there many times. I know of no code that stops you from reducing conduit size in a run without a pull box but have seen it done. Hack job if you ask me.

laketime

Yeah city specified 2" pvc for "future", we are pulling (3) #10's in it. I don't really want to run it and I don't want to reduce.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
My "Guess" is 2" to the box and then 1" to the pole--but to be sure RFI it

Cavie

Where do you put the J-box? Exposed on the side of the base?
12 x 24 x 12 fiberglass in the ground near the base. We pour a concrete pad around the box. Some places spec 17 x 30 x 12. Boxes have no bottom. #57 stone goes in the bottom for dranage. Quazite link in a previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.