maximum distance for j-box in pipe run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is not in the code book so you won't find it. The may be stress factors on wires being pulled but it is far more than 100 feet. Vertical runs are different. T. 300.19(A)

cadpoint

Be sure to read the job specifications if they exist! Sometimes it is stated there with larger commerical or industrial job's.

I swore i read it in there before,its nothin job specific,i was arguing with my foreman and hes telling me code says 100',but i disagreed

220/221

Sorry guys i cant find it in the code book,i thought rule of thumb was 100' ,but i can seem to find it

100' is not a very long run.

The only rule is that the conduit needs to be slightly shorted than the wire ;)

If there were a rule of thumb, I think it would be 500', the length of wire on standard small spools.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I swore i read it in there before,its nothin job specific,i was arguing with my foreman and hes telling me code says 100',but i disagreed

Don't feel bad this is a common misconception amongst electricians. You can go back and tell he that he's wrong. :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As long as you don't have 360 deg of bends, the only limiting factor is the length of your rope.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
"The only rule is that the conduit needs to be slightly shorter than the wire."

I like that better. We can tie ropes together so the length of any single rope would not be a limiting factor.

I'm just picking nits.

:roll:

Okay so let's be nit picky-- if there are enough LB's then it could be possible for the wire to be shorter then the actual raceway. :grin::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.