Attic GFCI receptacle/protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

leveeleak

I don't have a copy of the 2011 NEC but my stamped plans for new residential construction call for two convenience outlets in the attic, both of which are to be protected on a GFCI circuit (preferably one GFCI outlet in the attic controlling both though the plans don't specify where the controlling GFCI needs to be).

My electrician is arguing with me over whether or not GFCI protection in the attic is needed regardless of the plan specifications. In my area of the country air handlers and electric water heaters are typically installed in attics and it would make sense for an attic outlet to be on a GFCI b/c tools used to service that equipment draw larger amounts of electricity (though I am no electrician mind you). In my opinion he should just follow the MEP plan but I would like to know if this is an NEC code issue just so I can have more ground to stand on. Being a female QC inspector has it's drawbacks, boys, and at times I need more ammo than you guys do hammer home a point.

Any advice gentlemen?

dana1028

I'll answer this 2 ways:
1. As an inspector - there is no code requirement [210.8] in the 2008 or 2011 for GFCI protection of receptacles in an attic.

2. As a contractor - typically the approved set of plans is the contract...i.e. as a contractor I bid per approved plans....doesn't matter if I like it or whether this GFCI receptacle is code required or not...it is plan required...this is what the designer/owner/architect wants....give him/her what they want.

leveeleak

I'll answer this 2 ways:
1. As an inspector - there is no code requirement [210.8] in the 2008 or 2011 for GFCI protection of receptacles in an attic.

2. As a contractor - typically the approved set of plans is the contract...i.e. as a contractor I bid per approved plans....doesn't matter if I like it or whether this GFCI receptacle is code required or not...it is plan required...this is what the designer/owner/architect wants....give him/her what they want.

I am loving this answer :)

Buck Parrish

The outlet for attic equipment is not required to be a gfci protected outlet. But all persons working on the said equipment is required to use gfci protection. :cool:

Buck Parrish

Okay Thanks...

590.6 Ground-Fault Protection for Personnel. Groundfault
protection for personnel for all temporary wiring installations
shall be provided to comply with 590.6(A) and
(B). This section shall apply only to temporary wiring installations
used to supply temporary power to equipment
used by personnel during construction, remodeling, maintenance,
repair, or demolition of buildings, structures,
equipment, or similar activities. This section shall apply to
power derived from an electric utility company or from an
on-site-generated power source.

(A) Receptacle Outlets. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15-,
20-, and 30-ampere receptacle outlets that are not a part of
the permanent wiring of the building or structure and that
are in use by personnel shall have ground-fault circuit interrupter
protection for personnel.

dana1028

Okay Thanks...

590.6 Ground-Fault Protection for Personnel. Groundfault
protection for personnel for all temporary wiring installations
shall be provided to comply with 590.6(A) and
(B). This section shall apply only to temporary wiring installations
used to supply temporary power to equipment
used by personnel during construction, remodeling, maintenance,
repair, or demolition of buildings, structures,
equipment, or similar activities. This section shall apply to
power derived from an electric utility company or from an
on-site-generated power source.

(A) Receptacle Outlets. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15-,
20-, and 30-ampere receptacle outlets that are not a part of
the permanent wiring of the building or structure and that
are in use by personnel shall have ground-fault circuit interrupter
protection for personnel.

Sorry - your code section applies to TEMPORARY Installations...not already constructed dwellings with a receptacle in the attic.

OSHA - I am aware of the temporary construction requirements for GFCI protection on job sites....but I have not found an OSHA requirement [for GFCI protection] when using a power tool in an existing dwelling.

leveeleak

ok that code wording is way too open for interpretation but my plans rule the roost at the end of the day. thanks for the help boys. :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If someone is paying for GFCI protection then you give it to them even if it's not required by code.

sgunsel

If the approved plans indicated GFCI, then GFCI is required to pass building department inspection, regardless of the NEC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Sorry - your code section applies to TEMPORARY Installations...not already constructed dwellings with a receptacle in the attic.
The part that is temporary is the extension cord or cord on the tool.
OSHA - I am aware of the temporary construction requirements for GFCI protection on job sites....but I have not found an OSHA requirement [for GFCI protection] when using a power tool in an existing dwelling.
OSHA rules do not only apply on job sites...they apply any where an employee is doing work. If you are an employee doing work with power tools in that attic OSHA does require that you use GFCI protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.